Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Restarts, Malware Clean

• Please log in to reply

designated1wood

designated1wood

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello

I did the Malware thing over on the malware forum, but I came up empty. My system seems slow and I'm ravaged by a random restarts every other hour it seems, when I'm using my computer. It also likes to restart several times when I first log back into my computer, usually because It's probably been restarting on its own all day, and me finally using it causes too much stress? Today I tried turning my computer off when I left for work, only to come back to a screen offering to start in safe mode, last known good start, or normally, when I fired it back up again. This happened for a good 10 minutes and I was about ready to just wipe the slate clean, then it finally started booting all the way up. It actually feels more crisp now than it has in the last several months, confusing. Anyway I'm quite sick of this mess and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks
Andy

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run a memory test. Use the link in my signature and download Microsoft memory diagnostic tool. Create a bootable cd and boot with it. Run the test for at lest for an hour and let us know if there are any errors.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
would also help if you gave us your system specs...make model...
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system crashing..hanging...BSOD.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

designated1wood

designated1wood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for my latency.

System Specs:

Antec True Power 550W Power Supply
ASUS A8N-SLI NF4 Socket 939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz Processor
2 x Corsair 500 MB 3200
2 x Generic 500 MB 3200
Seagate 160 GB SATA Harddrive
ASUS Radeon X800 PRO 256MB PCI
System is almost 2 years old

I couldn't get the Windows Memory test to create a bootable disk, it couldn't find an available drive.

Everest screen should be attached.

Thanks
Andy

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Alcohol 120% can cause some strange problems. Might be worth uninstalling it as a test.

designated1wood

designated1wood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Removed Alcohol 120%, even though I've had it since I bought the computer and the problems started about 4 months ago.

Andy

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
and ???? Did it make any difference?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

2 x Corsair 500 MB 3200
2 x Generic 500 MB 3200

sometimes you can mix and match memory and it will work ok...BUT thats the exception rather than the rule..
remove the Generic ram and put the remaining corsair in slots A1 and B1 (same color slots)
FYI that mobo requires that if using only one stick of ram ...it goes in slot B1...check the mobo manual to make sure thats the correct slot though

Edited by happyrck, 10 March 2008 - 06:57 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So far we didn't do much progress. We don't even know where the origin of the problem is, hardware or software. The usul course of things is to systematically go through hardware tests to confirm or discard the possibility of the hardware being the source of the problem. At a second stage we look into the software.

So far we only know that the computer is not overheating and voltages seem to be OK (Everest report). As a minimum, regarding the hardware side, we still have to test the memory. It's a very important test because it happens quite often that memory modules fail and restart is a typical result.

I didn't understand why you couldn't create the memory test bootable cd. ( quote: I couldn't get the Windows Memory test to create a bootable disk, it couldn't find an available drive). Could you explain this?

designated1wood

designated1wood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Removing Alcohol made no difference. I've had the generic RAM in there for about a year and a half, wouldn't I have seen the trouble right after I installed the RAM if it was going to cause a problem?

I don't know why it wouldn't let me make a bootable cd, maybe because I have a DVD-Rom and a DVD Burner, no floppy or CD-Rom? When it told me to choose a location to create the disk nothing appeared for me to choose and I couldn't browse...is there another Memory Test, other than the Microsoft one?

Thanks
Andy

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Andy, what software are you using to try to create the bootable CD with? Might be worth installing Iso Recorder. Then you right click on the .iso file and select Copy image to CD. Hopefully that will work.

designated1wood

designated1wood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was under the impression that I needed to use the Memory Test software to make the bootable CD. Now that I finally figured out what you meant by create a bootable CD, thanks ztruker for the hint that I needed to use burning software to make the disc, there is apparently a fault in one of the device drivers, followed by "Exception 6 (invalid opcode).

To make sure the bootable disc is working right, it should say "Starting Caldera DR-DOS," or something to that effect, when I boot, correct?

Thanks
Andy

designated1wood

designated1wood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Forgot that I wanted to mention that many of my programs are coming up with errors and forcing me to close them. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows Media Player, Avast! GUI, and even my slideshow screensaver. Maybe that's a clue?

Andy

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its memtest
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer..
let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get ANY errors you will have to replace the ram...no errors after 2 hours..press esc to stop the tests