Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen after dell logo loads.

• Please log in to reply

chipy100

chipy100

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings geekstogo.

I have a problem that might have to do with hardware. I have a year old Dell e1705 laptop and it was working fine the other day. I than tried turning it on and all I get is a black screen after the dell logo appears. I can't even get onto safe mode. I pressed f8 numerous times to no avail. I than tried to reinstall the windows xp but it doesn't work either. After I get to the "Please press anything to startup windows xp cd" it does not work. Does anyone know what the problem might be? :)

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try plugging in an external monitor to see if the problem continues. It could be three things - the video driver, the video card, or the LCD screen. Let's find out which. :)

chipy100

chipy100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Try plugging in an external monitor to see if the problem continues. It could be three things - the video driver, the video card, or the LCD screen. Let's find out which. :)

Thing is I don't know how to plug an external monitor. But if the dell logo shows up and I can get on bios, won't that rule out the lcd problem? Thanks for replying. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Thing is I don't know how to plug an external monitor. But if the dell logo shows up and I can get on bios, won't that rule out the lcd problem? Thanks for replying. :)

you're correct i'd assume it's not the LCD screen since you can see SOMETHING on the screen...so basically as soon as you get past anything related to POST (which is where you bios info shows up and the dell splash screen shows up) the screen goes black (including the safemode prompts if you press F8)?

suprgirl6

suprgirl6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the exact same problem, the only dif. is that my dell came with vista premium.
Can't go pass the Dell logo, if i enter in f12 or f8 I don't get the option for safemode.