Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice & Guidance

• Please log in to reply

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I've been working with HTML and graphic programs for about 3 years now and its started with the 'anime blogger hyper genki kawaii' stereotype, but, as much as I love anime, I'm starting to shed that skin. I'm looking to be more professional and maybe even get some design jobs and such. Any advice?

Advertisements

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, first of all if your sick of making a page for every single thing on the site and anytime you want to change the layout you have to change every html file, you should start looking into php. Its very useful and is really great for websites. As far as graphics, what kind of program do you use? Adobe Photoshop is one of the best graphics editing programs to work with in my opinion.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree if you want to do some "professional" work, a knowledge of PHP, and MYSQL is a huge plus. You'll want to be able to create database driven dynamic sites that many clients will require. If you're not comfortable with the coding, team up with someone that is. Most sites are designed by a "coder" and a "designer". If you can do both--great!

I'd definitely recommend creating your own website to showcase your portfolio, and also your graphic skills. Next, I'd start local, it can be very difficult to be recognized in the global Internet community, and competition is tough. However, you may find a need in your local community, or by specializing in just certain types of sites (i.e. creating sites only for attorneys, web hosting companies, etc.).

Also, if you get the chance to design a highly trafficed site--do it for free. It would be worth the exposure if you're able to put a link back to your home page (i.e. "Site design by Chexee"). <_<

Chexee

Chexee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I've got a very vague knowledge of PHP ... the bare basics, really. I'm looking into getting deeper into it, as I know it will really help me in the future. As for mySQL, that'll be a new front for me, but as long as I don't procrastinate too much ... <_< ... I should be able to get familiar with it in time.

I use Photoshop and have been for about 2 and a half years; I'm also familiar with Paint Shop Pro, but I'm more comfortable with Photoshop. I'm pretty fluent in HTML and CSS, but that's about all. Like I said, I have a vague knowledge of PHP, and also a vegue knowledge of Javascript, but I can't get into anything very complicated in those areas.

Thanks for the advice :D

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, the truth is I only use like one line of php which is the one that loads the .txt files in the page. Thats about all I ever use. I know a few other things about it but nothing special. As for mySQL i have no clue how to do that. I d/l it once but this comp is so bad it barely runs it. I got my new comp coming though and im getting hosting soon so i'll learn it then.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We are going to start offering web hosting packages in the near future. I know what I want for content, but I haven't started on the design yet. If you're interested, I could set you up with some free hosting, and of course provide a link to your site on the home page http://www.geekshosting.com .

I'd like the design to be simple, and have a theme similar to this site, so that users know they're associated. The colors & logo should be similar, but other than that, I'm open to any ideas. <_<

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
You mean you would like someone to design a hosting site for you? I could help if you would like.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes. I can do it, but finding the time is difficult. :D If you're interested, I'd give you full credit, link to your page, and set you up with a sweet hosting package (free). <_<

If there's more than one person interested, I'll just consider the ideas, and choose one. :D

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
do you want just the design or the whole page. Scripts and all?

also, could you add fast reply to this forum. Thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I guess I'm just looking for more of a template, site design help. I'll be using WHM Autopilot for an instant signup script, and that'll have to be integrated. It'll also have it's own support forum (IPB), help desk (undecided), a frequently asked question page, tutorials, and of course pages for each of the hosting plans (yes, including a free plan), etc.

I'm open to any ideas, but I really don't care for the flash site with music and all that jazz. I prefer a clean, simple, functional design.

I like this site: http://www.panelhosting.com/

Advertisements

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sure, im definately interested. I was about to buy some hosting, but i'll wait and see what happens. If you really do want me to make you something, IM me on AIM at blinksktr07 or send me an e-mail or something.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Okay, we seem to have at least a couple people interested. So I'll lay down some ground rules. First of all, I just thought this might be a good idea to help a fellow Geeks to Go member get a start in web design, or promote their website design business. I'm not making any promises that I'll even use anyone's submission. This will be a pretty heavily trafficked site, so I'm expecting a good design. If nothing meets my approval, I'll proceed to design it myself. There are MANY hosting sites to draw inspiration from--but please, no rips. I'd like to have this site live no later than the end of July. I'll probably accept submissions for about 30 days.

The site must be similar to the "look and feel" of GeeksToGo.com. That means using blue/grey tones (orange, yellow, red and black are okay too, if they're not the dominant color), simple, clean graphics. No Flash or Javascript, many users aren't able to use these interfaces. No music. GeeksHosting.com will offer free, and affordable hosting, but limited support, so the website is going to have to be pretty substantial, and the first resource for many questions.

Please don't spend many days designing a full hosting site and then submit it. Just start with simple layout--headers, colors, logo, graphics. If I select your design you will get full credit, a link to your site, and a hosting package to be determined (but it will be a substantial reseller package).

Chexee

Chexee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Whoo, I'm sorry I haven't been replying. That really does sound like a good way to get jump started and practice a bit. To sum it up, you're looking for a clean cut simple design, correct? I'll be happy to make a submission <_<

I still haven't got my other computer in working order, but I might be able to rustle something up with this one. ^__^;;

Feel free to IM me on AIM at kupokupoboom or email me email removed

I should tell you, I'm young (er .. only 15 years young) and inexperienced and was just looking for advice when I started this thread, because I was thinking about maybe a few jobs in the future, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Edited by ditto, 22 June 2004 - 07:11 PM.

Chexee

Chexee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I was working on something this afternoon ... Hmm ... comments? criticism?

Attached Thumbnails

• gtg_layout.jpg

Edited by Chexee, 22 June 2004 - 09:20 PM.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
nice work

In my opinion it looks a little too glossy. Black looks like the dominant color in your design, however black is rarely used on this site for graphics.

However i must commend your efforts. Keep up the good work. admin will get back to you

ditto