Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help with my sound issues

• Please log in to reply

Beerbourbon

Beerbourbon

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all,

I've recently got a new computer with a television card in it and I can record on my hard drive through Windows Media Center. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. After recording, I can play back the file easy enough.

The problem comes when I want to put it on DVD - there's no sound. The video is perfect, and I've used various freeware and shareware programs. There's supposed to be an option in Windows Media Center to do it, but I don't have that option.

I'm running a fast enough computer and have been working on the problem all day - it's 11pm Australian time and I started this morning. I'm fed up and can't find the solution.

It records as a file with a dvr-ms extension and I can play the files in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. I played around with things and I could put the file on a DVD and play it on a DVD player, but after installing some trialware programs, I can't do it anymore. I tried lots of programs but the one that ships with my computer automatically converts the dvr-ms to DVD Video.

A system restore didn't work. It made my computer worse so I've removed it entirely. I also noticed that system restore was taking up 300GB (yes - 300GB) of disk space.

All I want to do is record a program in Windows Media Center and put the program on a DVD disk again. Can anybody help me? I've pulled all my hair out over this problem. I just don't know how to fix it, and I admit defeat.

Advertisements

Beerbourbon

Beerbourbon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Despite having two DVD Players, it turns out I have to install yet ANOTHER mpeg2 decoder. I found a free one at http://www.deskshare...peg2decoder.exe if anybody else has similar issues. Works fine now, but it's still dumb that I can't use the decoders that came with my Cyberlink software. Ah well!