Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Items In Add/Remove List - Can These Be Uninstalled>?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I've had msn messenger v7 installed on my pc for quite some time. A few days ago while using msn messenger I got a notification by the program stating that a new version [v8.5] was available. So I decided to take the leap and install it.

I usually go into my add/remove list after installing programs just out of curiosity. While doing so I seen the following two items listed:

Posted Image

I would assume that these are related to the installation of the new msn messenger and not the program itself. Although I could be wrong... Anyways I hate stuff lurking around on my pc so I'd like to ask the following:

1. Why would these two be listed there?

2. What are they for?

3. Should/Can I remove them without problems and still be able to use msn?

- Thank You

Edited by superstar, 06 March 2008 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
AFAIK, the Installer can be Uninstalled, but the Sign-in Assistant will need to stay installed - if you want it to log in automatically when you turn on your computer and automatically sign you in to Internet-based Windows Live Services (live.com, Windows Live Mail).

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Does the sign in assitant make the little mail icon in msn work so you can click it and it opens up ie to your inbox? Because if so I need that.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
it is the tool that automatically signs you in. So without it, if you click the mail icon, it would open hotmail, but not sign you in, and you would have to sign in manually.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Good to know thanks! I'll only remove the live installer.