Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router not detected by installation software

• Please log in to reply

Ebonon35

Ebonon35

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Operating system XP Home.

Problem: When running the Linksys set up software router is not detected.

Details:
Router – Linksys WRT54g
Wireless Adapter – Trendnet TEW-424UB

Router is in other room approximately 20 to maybe 30 feet away.
All the appropriate lights except “Ethernet 1,2,3,4” are lit.
Coax runs from wall to cable modem.
Ethernet cable runs from modem to router.
There is currently no hard line Ethernet connection between router and PC.
I also have a hard line DSL connection. DSL modem is connected directly to the PC through with an Ethernet connection (I will be getting rid of this once the wireless cable connection is working).

The Trendnet device installed without issue and located the router. Signal strength from the USB device is strong/very good.

I have NOT updated the firmware on the router. I have done nothing beyond the basic installation using the provided CDs for both devices.

Do I have to FIRST connect the router with an Ethernet cable to the PC in order to set it up for a wireless connection?

I have not spent a lot of time making adjustments with settings. Most of what I have done is plug n play.

Please let me know what additional information would be helpful in solving my issue. Oh and I am currently at work so what I can verify (or attempt) is limited. I was just hoping to get a set of possible first steps to try.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore the CD altogether, you don't need it. More trouble than its worth. In fact use it as a drinks coaster with my blessing.
Connect to the router wirelessly (or you can do it wired, it doesn't matter) using the default addresses and username/password as supplied in the manual/quick start guide. Log into it and you may find a wizard you can follow to set it all up. If not the manual should tell you where to put in your ISP username and password if nothing else.

Ebonon35

Ebonon35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you but I fear I'm receiving all this sage advice too late. I tried upgrading the firmware and the connection was interrupted. Router is toast. Back to New Egg it goes.

Interestingly enough one of the fixes the upgrade offers is issues with the software. :) :) :)