Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD521 Smart Short Self Test

• Please log in to reply

dms

dms

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system will run funky from time to time. Like I will switch from word to dreamweaver and it takes like a while for dreamweaver to come up. Then it will go away and be fine and then it starts again in a week. Always though when I run this test above (for the past 2 months) I get this error. (HD521 2W on the smart short self test) I do not want to replace my hard drive because I have so many programs and do not know where all the original software is to reload. My question is, can I fix this myself? If not and if I need a new hard drive is there a way to reload all my programs with serial no.s as well as data?

Edited by dms, 06 March 2008 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If not and if I need a new hard drive is there a way to reload all my programs with serial no.s as well as data?

you could buy the new HD and use something like acronis true image, or norton ghost (or for free drive image XML) to clone the old drive onto the new one...which will make an exact copy of the old drive...programs and all

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
When you purchase a new HD for your machine (recommended) you will ordinarily receive a tools CD in the package.
There will be a "migration tool" that will make an exact copy of what is presently on your HD, transfering it to your new HD. If a CD is not included, you should be able to download such a utility from the HD manufacturer's website.
Admittedly, this is easier for a DeskTop (simple actually) and additional study may be necessary if you are running a Laptop.

Follow the new HD manufacturer's instructions and you will be up and running with a new and well running HD, with all of your documents, files, and software in their familiar places.

Best Regards