Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Freezing

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok I think its that I only have 256mb of ram, but everytime I open word and start to create a new form to use to a company I work for, windows and the computer completly locks up and never releases. I have to pull power and restart.

Any other ideas other than increaseing ram?

I have gotten a virtual memory warning several times while just sitting there... so I am at a loss now :)

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Click these in this order-

Control Panel (Classic View)
System
Advanced Tab
Performance-Settings
Advanced
Virtual Memory
Change
System Managed Size
Set
ok
ok
ok

reboot

That should solve the memory problem.

Edited by cmpm, 06 March 2008 - 12:04 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem is not because the RAM is small. It is, but that would only cause low performance, not a freezing. Try what cmpm suggested. In addition, download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags registry and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot. Let us know what happens.