Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to join XP Pro computer to domain

• Please log in to reply

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My school just got 9 brand new Toshiba laptops loaded with XP pro on them. As I'm trying to set this up onto our domain and I get the following error.

"The following error occurred when attempting to join the domain "[domain]"
"The network path was not found"

I have checked the installed protocols. Client for MS networks, IP V6, as well TCP/IP, File and Print Sharing are all installed. I've also done searches and did as lockergnome's site suggested and made the IP static, didn't work so I changed it back to dynamic. Some forums had also mentioned making sure the domain suffix in the computer name is the same, it is. I can obtain an IP address from the server and access the internet. I can also access network resources through the run command, but I do have to put in the domain admin username and password. I can also ping from the machine to the server and from the server to the machine. It seems the only think I cannot do is join the domain. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wild guess...you're not actually using IPV6 are you? try removing IPV6 from the system (sounds silly since ipv6 isn't used...but i've seen it cause issues)

Kev2008

Kev2008

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I had this problem when using the netbios name of the domain. For example...

Lets say your domain is called MySchool as the netbios name, the actual domain might be domain.Myschool.com.

Try doign this.

Goto command prompt (start -> run -> CMD) and then type in SET. You will see a option called UserDNSDomain towards the end. Try typing this into the domain box when you try joining and make sure you add the Primary DNS suffix in the "More" tab also.

I had this issue when migrating a lod of machines at work to a new domain, this fixed it.

Kevin

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I removed the IPV6 and still nothing. One thing I've seen with this machine is that when it shuts down it mentions something about "finished machine policies". It's something I don't recall seeing before. Could that be blocking me from joining a domain?

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So let me get this right, UserDNSDomain right now is set to A210-1. So the computer name (after adding on the suffix in the more tab) should read as A210-1.[domain].org and the member of domain should just read [domain].org?

I tried that to no avail. Just for kicks I tried putting the full computer name in the "member of" box and it couldn't even find the dns server. Were as before it could find the dns server, it'd ask me for my credentials and then would deny me saying path not found.

Hi,

I had this problem when using the netbios name of the domain. For example...

Lets say your domain is called MySchool as the netbios name, the actual domain might be domain.Myschool.com.

Try doign this.

Goto command prompt (start -> run -> CMD) and then type in SET. You will see a option called UserDNSDomain towards the end. Try typing this into the domain box when you try joining and make sure you add the Primary DNS suffix in the "More" tab also.

I had this issue when migrating a lod of machines at work to a new domain, this fixed it.

Kevin

Kev2008

Kev2008

• Pip
  • 3 posts
run the command on a PC you have joined to the domain and then you will get the correct userNDDomain and then enter that as the domain name i.e domain.org for example - not A201-1.domain.org.

If prompted, you may need to enter in domain\username and then password as opposed to username and password.

Kevin