Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen - Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Every time I start up my laptop, I get a blue screen the says Unmountable_boot_volume. I have tried to start in safe mode to try to fix it but, it says that everytime i start up??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CHKDSK time.
http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm and the section at the very bottom.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
i cant start the computer up at all i alwats get the blue screen

i did a pre-boot system assessment and it says there was a error detected on the hard drive. The test was DST Short Status Test. error code 1000-0142.
Drive self test failed. Statur byte = 49.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your HD is dead or dying .....you may be able to save your data by removing the drive and slaving it to a working computer....

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I figured it was dying, just wasn't sure. I dont think there is really anything on it that i dont already have on another computer. Do you or anytone know about how much a hard drive would cost? It is a Dell Inspiron 600M

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
these are links to buy one...here...
and here
the best one seems to be this one here..

Edited by happyrck, 08 March 2008 - 09:52 AM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
OK, bought a new hard drive. took out the old one put in the new one. started the computer and put in the dell cd. But it says that there is no hard drive installed. Did i do something wrong? Do I have to do something before i install it??

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
nevermind i figured it out. Thanks for all the help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...would you post what you did to get it going...it can save a lot of time for the people with problems like yours and fixing their system without ever posting a question saving the helpers time too..

Edited by happyrck, 12 March 2008 - 03:55 PM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I just forgot to take the adapter or whatever it is that was on the pins off the of hard drive and put it on the new one.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
ok, now i have another problem. I installed windows and everything, but now it doesn't recognize my wireless network adapter. So I cant get on the internet to do anything else to it. I tried to download the driver on this computer and put it on the laptop but it said that the network adapter wasn't installed.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
ok, nevermind figured that out too.

lvmj1314

lvmj1314

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for this useful message,I can not express my feeling with words,if you want to buy cheapest and high quality batteries ,please click here