Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig.exe

• Please log in to reply

comp illit

comp illit

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I made the biggest mistake of putting msconfig.exe in the Run section and really messed up my computer. I lost my IP address but was able to get that reinstalled. The next thing I discovered was that all my devices in my device manager were gone. I tried to reinstall the drives for my printer, my ipod, my camera and the computer won't take them. I can't even pull up Help and Support from windows xp.
how do I reinstall drives Without having to reboot windows xp and lose all of files?

Advertisements

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Did you try scanning for device changes in the device manager?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I made the biggest mistake of putting msconfig.exe in the Run section

simply opening MSCONFIG won't screw your computer up.....what did you change once you opened MSCONFIG? have you tried going there and undoing your changes?

comp illit

comp illit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am not sure what I undone....no. My IP address is fixed. and the only thing that seems to be wrong is that my device manager box is empty and i can't reinstall any drivers - windows xp is not accepting them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not to sound preachy...but this is what happens when you go about mucking with things you have no business touching (such as MSCONFIG or the registry)

have you tried system restore?

comp illit

comp illit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
how do you do system restore? You are absolutely, i had NO business going in there.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

comp illit

comp illit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried system restore and that didn't make the devices come back. Plus my friend was trying to fix my computer and lost my internet connection. So now I am back to square one. Is there anyway to get back my IP address without having to call ATT?