Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey I'm building a computer for a friend. Thought I would get some advice on the parts. My friend wants to buy soon so I can't wait for the E8200's to come in stock at newegg. So that is why my processor is a E6750. He has a budget of around $800. He already has a monitor. The total of all these items with shipping is around $835. So I am pushing his budget. So if you could please recommend anything else let it be something within the same price range. Thanks. Also am I forgetting anything? Should I get a floppy drive for him? This is my first full out build. I've replaced everything in my computer but never started from scratch. Is there anything I should know? Thanks.

CPU
MotherBoard
RAM
PSU
Graphics Card
Hard Drive
Tower
CD/DVD Drive

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Drop the Rosewill PSU. They are typically low quality PSUs. I recommend this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341010.

Your friend should invest an extra $2 in his RAM so he can OC later if he wants to: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146118

I also recommend a SATA DVD burner: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827151153

And to meet the budget: EVGA 9600GT

Edited by Titan8990, 06 March 2008 - 03:43 PM.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok thanks. So the case I picked out is ok? I've never bought a case before.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The case is usually looked at as a personal preference. Some do cool better than other though. If your friend is interested in overclocking I would suggest a different one. Other than it will get the job done just fine.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea, My friend is a computer novice to say the least. Don't think he will be doing any overclocking so things should stay cool in that case. Thanks for your help. Looks like he is going to purchase all of it. I'm jelous. Got to upgrade mine now. Can't have him beat me in Crysis FPS.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Got to upgrade mine now. Can't have him beat me in Crysis FPS.

I felt the same way after building some nice rigs for some friends. Just recently got my e6750 and overclocked to 3.6ghz.

Good luck with the build :).

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Yea, My friend is a computer novice to say the least. Don't think he will be doing any overclocking so things should stay cool in that case. Thanks for your help. Looks like he is going to purchase all of it. I'm jelous. Got to upgrade mine now. Can't have him beat me in Crysis FPS.

Welcome to the world of poeple who have rich friends who know nothing about computers XD

I've felt the same way before. (alot of times)

good luck with build. :)

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Haha, Thanks. Yea, I have a lot of friends like that. Thankfully I convinced him to get a PC at least. He wanted a Mac. And he wanted to play Crysis cause he saw I had it. I laughed when he said he wanted a Mac AND Crysis. Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in awhile.