Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no cd/dvd-drive found

• Please log in to reply

trippo

trippo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can no longer see the cd drive or drivers on my computer. I am using windows XP. I suspect one of my kids accidentally instlled/removed something from the computer that created the problem. Is there any way to add the driver back into the hardware devices?
JT

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try clicking start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace system files, you need the XP CD, you get a blue progress bar.

Click start then my computer then view system information then hardware then device manager, click the + next to DVD/CDROM Drives, do you have exclamation marks, if so, right click a drive then properties then driver then update driver

trippo

trippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Unfortunately, the DVD drive does not show up in the device manager. There is no sign of it on the computer. I ran scannow anyways, but the system still does not register the dvd drive...

Any other thoughts?

JT

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then type Y to confirm for next boot then reboot, which takes a lot longer to get back to the desktop, so best to do this when you will not need it for a while

trippo

trippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Still no luck. But on a positive note, the drive at least attempts to be read CD's inserted into the drive (before it wouldn't even spin). The drive still does not register in the hardware manager nor in an explore window. It just is not recognized in the system.

Any more thoughts? Should I try disconnecting the drive and then powering on, reconnecting and see if the computer can recognize it as new hardware?

JT

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is worth trying

trippo

trippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That did the trick. I unplugged the computer, cracked the case open, disconnected the CD/DVD drive cables and powered back up. The computer immediately noticed the drive was missing and I selected the power up normal option.

I then powered down, unplugged, reconnected the cables to the CD/DVD drive and powered back up. The computer identified the drive as new hardware and configured it correctly. The drive again appears in the task manager.

I should have tried this first, but I am always hopeful there is a simple software solution to the problem. I wish I knew what caused the problem. I will right it off as an XP glitch...

Thanks for your help,

JT

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know how you repaired it