Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for your help with this

Advertisements

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for your help with this

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...

try this driver here...not sure it will work but its the only one for your make and model

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
HP replied to my email inquiry today

They say to go to

M2E WDM Audio Driver for Windows 2000/XP:

http://h20000.www2.h...SG_I13690-35021

This is sp 20191 which I downloaded and installed on March 8th

I installed via update driver in Device manager

Is there a way I can check it is the right driver eg download the new solution and check numbers? What would happen if if I followed the HP instructions and instaleld their suggestion?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do what they said to do...they have probably seen this many times before...it can't hurt to try..

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for your posts of 8th and 10th. I missed the one on the 8th as forgot to look at second page!

HP installation was without problems and the ESS driver in the Device Manager is said to be working but I have no sound and Control Panel/Sound says no audio device and is all greyed out

I'm wondering about giving up and having a go with Linux/Ubuntu

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have an XP CD? If so, try a Repair Install before you switch to Linux. Only takes about an hour and could very well resolve your problem.

If so then if the XP CD is SP1 you will need to download and install SP2 then the 90+ Windows Updates which is another couple hours. You'll also have to reinstall some software but your data should survive.

Edit: It's also possible the sound card or chipset is defective. A Linux Live CD like Puppy Linux could tell you if it's defective or not.

Edited by Ztruker, 11 March 2008 - 05:44 PM.

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the suggestion about a live Linux CD. In fact I have run Puppy and the sound is fine. I mentioned that in my first post.

I do have an XP CD

I have emailed the HP help centre saying I installed the driver but am still being told no device is installed

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
HP have emailed me back.

They said "I understand you have not been able to install the Driver" but I don't think that is the case. I downloaded the self extracting file from HP and ran the .exe file for that and it installed. I assumed that it updated the ESS Maestro audio drive.

HP included a link to Windows knowledge base article 283658 about managing devices in XP

If I go through device manager to the ESS maestro and try and update the driver it says it is running version 5.12.1.2077 but i cannot see a way of checking that is the one I downloaded from the HP site.

Am I missing something obvious?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Follow directions in this MS article to show hidden devices: http://support.micro...kb/315539/en-us

Now go to Device Manager and click on View, Show hidden devices.

Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers. See if there are other things being shown that were not shown before.
Delete/Uninstall everything there.

Reboot, let XP do it's rediscovery, may take a few minutes. Check Device Manager again with Show Hidden Devices enabled and see what''s shown. If your sound if not listed, install the driver you got from HP, see if that makes any difference.

Advertisements

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The microsoft workround shows 13 hidden entries in addition to the normal 8 - they are mostly microsoft kernels

When you said delete/uninstall everything did you mean the hidden 13 or all 21?

BTW HP sent me another email but it calls me by a different name and says they think the problem is with NIC card - I think they have jumbled the response

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
HP emailed to suggest I re-install the operating system

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean microsoft kernels. Can you post a few here. Are they under the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section?

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
There are 21 items in the audio list including the 13 hidden items marked below with an asterisk

Audio Codecs

ESS Maestro 2E PCI Audio Drive (WDM)

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media control devices

Microsoft Kernel Acoustic echo canceller *

Microsoft Kernel Audio splitter *

Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer *

Microsoft Kernel DRM audio Descrambler *

Microsoft Kernel GS wavetable synthesizer *

Microsoft Kernel system audio device *

Microsoft Kernel wave audio mixer *

Microsoft streaming clock proxy *

Microsoft streaming quality manager proxy *

microsoft streaming service proxy *

Microsoft WINM WDM audio compatibility driver *

MPU 401 Compatible midi device

MPU 401 Compatible midi device *

Standard Game port

Standard Game port *

Video Codecs

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would delete all 21 then reboot and give XP time to rediscover and reinstall everything. But ... I also have a full, current, backup of my hard drive so if I do something that causes a problem, recovery is only 30 minutes away.

Do you have a backup? Do you have a XP CD for this computer? Perhaps a Repair Install would resolve this.