Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cancel XP setup, and change OS type

• Please log in to reply

Schubie

Schubie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, so what happend was i didnt realize the cd key i had was a Media center edition key, and i started an xp repair with an xp pro disk, now it doesnt like the key im using, and i need to restart the instal using a MC disk so that my key will work, but i can not get it to boot from disk anymore.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Schubie, welcome to G2G.

What do you mean you can't get it to boot from disk any more? To do a Repair install, you boot the CD, not the hard drive.

Schubie

Schubie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, sorry if my last post didnt make sense, so what happend was i started a xp repair, and i got to the part where it said enter cd key, and the cd key i have is only valid for MCE and i was using a pro/home disk. so i need to cancel that instal, boot from a MCE disk and restart the repair.
the problem is, i cant get it to boot from the disk anymore, it is the primary boot device, but if i go to boot manager its only listing the xp partition that is being setup and not the optical drive. i cant seem to get it to cancel, nor can i finish it without a key.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
by boot manager do you mean the bios boot manager...

Schubie

Schubie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, its a sony laptop, and at the post screen you can press f2 for setup (bios) and f8 for the boot selector, to select if i boot from optical drive, hdd, flash drive and so fourth.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Boot with Windows XP CD.
Choose R) Recovery option
In DOS prompt type in fixmbr and press enter
no joy...try ...
type in fixboot and press enter

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Happyrck, that's the problem. He can't get it to boot from CD any more.

Try going into BIOS Setup. Are there settings for boot priority? If so, make the CD the first one then see if you can get the CD to boot.

Schubie

Schubie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its already the first one, then flash drive, then hdd, but it wont boot from either of those and goes right into the xp setup:(

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That makes absolutely no sense. Boot selection is a BIOS function and has nothing to do with what is installed on the hard drive. I don't see any way a previous aborted XP install can prevent you from booting from CD.

I know this may sound dumb, but are you sure the CD you are trying to use is bootable? Can you try it in another computer just to test?

Schubie

Schubie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep, tried it in two other computers, both read it fine

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I wonder if you can boot any CD?

Give Puppy Linux - puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso a try. It's small and downloads quickly. Create a bootable CD from the iso file.

There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

See if it will boot.

Also, go into BIOS Setup one more time and load the defaults, save and exit and see if that changes it.

Schubie

Schubie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks, ill give it a try

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

That makes absolutely no sense. Boot selection is a BIOS function and has nothing to do with what is installed on the hard drive. I don't see any way a previous aborted XP install can prevent you from booting from CD.

I have...wouldn't let me do anything until I completed the install AFTER partitiong the drive and doing a Parallel install