Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video cards

• Please log in to reply

BigBob57

BigBob57

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys; I have a Compaq s5100nx with a 2.6ghz intel celeron processor ( 512mb ddr-sdram memory ) 80gb hardrive. I would like to insall a video card but is it worth it ? All the cards i see have ddr2 ram are these compatable with my computer ? If it is worth it what would be a good card? Thanks Bigbob57

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Compaq s5100nx doesn't have a slot for a separate graphics card so you can't do it anyway.

BigBob57

BigBob57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes you can put a video card in this computer. There are 2 ( PCI ) slots for it to go in .The only caution recomended by Hewllet Packard is not to ecceed the power supply. Guess it pays to check everywhere.Bigbob57

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Yes you can put a video card in this computer. There are 2 ( PCI ) slots for it to go in .The only caution recomended by Hewllet Packard is not to ecceed the power supply. Guess it pays to check everywhere.Bigbob57

PCI graphics cards are not very good and in some cases you may find you get better performance out of the onboard graphics than you do with a PCI one. Just try to buy one and the only place you'll end up on is eBay.
Anyway if you should put too meaty a card in, just replace the power supply. Not rocket science.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Although not as easy to find you can probably find a decent one depending on what type of games you plan on playing. What power supply do you have in there now (wattage)?

BigBob57

BigBob57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help guys! I have a 250 watt power supply. Your right Neil you can't get much of a card in this unit. But since i don't use it for games an ATI all in wonder card is still available 256 ram with video in-out and TV tuner refurbed for $40.00 online. This will give me a chance to do some learning before i upgrade to a new computer.At 57 years old it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Again thanks for the advice. Before i buy a new computer i'll ask for some more good advice from you guys. Bigbob57

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
If it were me, I'd drop a few bucks and pick up some more memory. 512MB isn't a whole lot these days and with RAM being cheap, it's a great way to get a big performance increase. Unless you're gaming, a big honkin' video card isn't really going to do as much for you as more RAM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I would agree with jeffk there but since you are still learning (even if it's slower learning :) ) about upgrades and such I wouldn't worry about the memory yet. What seems easiest is if you save up to just buy a new Dell (although overpriced, best stuff with least junk) which will give all around upgrades for a bit.