Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet very slow!

• Please log in to reply

stands

stands

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok this has completely stumped me but hopefully someone will be able to help!

I have 2 laptops on Vista and 2 Pc's on XP all using a wired Netgear DG834v3 ADSL Router. All but 1 of the pc's and laptops work great through this router but 1 of the laptops internet speeds has just crashed down to snails pace.

Checks we have done so far include:-
  • Virus/Spyware/CCleaner etc
  • Contacted Netgear to see if there are any faults with their system
  • Moved Pc's and laptops around to determine if there is a fault with the wires
  • System Restore
  • Disconnected router and reconnected it again
  • Ensured Firewalls are off on Windows so that there is no conflict with netgears firewalls
  • Turned all the other pc's/laptops off to see if this has an effect on the speeds of the remaining laptop

.....and so i find myself here tearing my hair out and wondering if the fault is either a hardware issue with the Lenovo N200 Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1024MB 160GB DVD-RW 15.4" WXGA TFT Windows Vista Home Premium laptop or whether there is a glitch in the windows downloads that have been sent in the last week.

Or........is it something else?????

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Some times add-ons can slow your Internet down.
The issue is confined to one of four computers so this may be the case here.
With Internet Explorer open;
  • Click on Tools.
  • Select Manage Add-ons.
  • Click Enable or disable Add-ons.
Disable every thing, and enable them one at a time. Test the Internet speed after every Add-on that you enable.
When the Internet slows down you will have found the Add-on that is slowing you down.

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hfcg, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I tried, as you suggested, disabling the Add-on's in Internet Explorer and also in Mozilla (as this is the browser we tend to use more). Sadly neither made any difference to the speed of this particular laptop.

When we phoned Lenovo, beyond the checks i outlined in my initial mail, their only other suggestion was to reset everything to the factory default settings by clicking on their "Lenovo Care" button. I see this as an absolute final resort and i am hoping we wont need to do this. The laptop was only purchased October last year and we have been very stringent with virus protection and ensuring all updates have been downloaded.

Fingers crossed you will have some better suggestions than Lenovos :)

Thanks once again

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You should not "reset to factory..."
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Have downloaded ATF Cleaner and run the program but sadly still no difference in speed.
Again we tried both through mozilla and Internet explorer but its still running at snails pace :)

Any other help will be appreciated
Thanks

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Do you have that philshing filter turned on?
Have you updated the drivers for your NIC?
I am starting to think malware, but turn off the philshing filter, and update your drivers first.

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi thanks again for your speedy reply.

Yes i had already turned the philshing filter off and checked that the drivers for the NIC were updated.

As far as any malware is concerned like i stated in my earlier post we have been very stringent with regards to updating and running all of our protection on this laptop as it was purchased last October. This includes; AVG, AVG anti spyware, adaware, cwshredder and ccleaner with the additional netgear firewalls.

Just a thought but is there any possibility that the latest windows downloads we have had could have any effect on the reducing the speed of this particular laptop? I have listed below ones that have been downloaded around the time that we started to have problems;

Intel Corporation-video-mobile intel®965
Vista update KB937077
Definition for windows defender KB915597 (Definition 1.27.7165.0, 1.29.7345.0, 1.29.7165.0)

Checked the speed of downloading through avg update which seemed to suggest that the download speed was 30 bytes/sec so as you can imagine any further downloads are rather tedious!!

Everything else on the laptop seems to be working fine its just the speed of the internet access.
:)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You did a system restore so it is not an update.
Would you "roll back" your NIC driver to see if that works better?
Also try turning Windows Defender off.
No matter what security software you use there is no 100% safe protection from malware.
If turning off Windows Defender, and rolling back the driver for your NIC does not work I am going to suggest that you let the nice malware experts check out your system.
Your Internet service provider is not giving you Mcafee is it?

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Have tried;
Updating the NIC
Rolling back the NIC
Turning off the defender

My Internet provider isn't providing Mcafee so should i take a trip over to the malware experts and see if they can take a look?

How could i reference this post so that i can show them the checks we have already been through prior to posting on that part of the site?

Thanks for all your help

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1183587
You can copy/paste the obove link in your post.

stands

stands

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks again!
Fingers crossed its nothing too serious.

Trum

Trum

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Windows vista does not run very well with only 1024MB memory.

you should try upgrading your hardware by at least 512MB of RAM.