Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good gaming Computer?

• Please log in to reply

IceKeyMaster

IceKeyMaster

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can anyone recomend a good gaming computer? Namely one that can run a heavaly moded version of Oblivion: GOTY with the graphic settings cranked? I also wan't to know the price. I'm going to somehow try to save up for one, but I only have 50$ and no sorce on income. Being a poor gamer is like, the hardest thing ever. And my parents are preaty poor to, so no money there :S. But anyways, this isn't a topic about being poor, but one about gaming computers. So GO GO GO!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Can anyone recomend a good gaming computer? Namely one that can run a heavaly moded version of Oblivion: GOTY with the graphic settings cranked? I also wan't to know the price. I'm going to somehow try to save up for one, but I only have 50$ and no sorce on income. Being a poor gamer is like, the hardest thing ever. And my parents are preaty poor to, so no money there :S. But anyways, this isn't a topic about being poor, but one about gaming computers. So GO GO GO!

You could have a gaming computer that rages from ~600 to thousands. It's really limitless as to what you can spend, as for what you want, I think the $800 price point should satisfy your needs. As for a computer in specific, the hardware world changes rapidly and there is no point in suggesting a computer till you have the money for the purchase.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 March 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Jamjam525

Jamjam525

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nowdays you can get a good computer that can run oblivion at a low setting for around $400, but for one that can play at high settings, you're looking more at the $1000+ price range.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Nowdays you can get a good computer that can run oblivion at a low setting for around $400

I would like to see this build. I'm thinking $500 min w/o Windows OS (required for oblivion). So I am saying about $600 minimum to play oblivion on lower settings.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 March 2008 - 09:47 PM.

Jamjam525

Jamjam525

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, my computer can play oblivion. I bought it a few years back when it was top of the range - now its worth about £200 ($400)

It came with:
Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor
512mb Ram (well i upgraded it to 1.5gb, but i'm sure 512mb would run oblivion)
160GB Hard Drive (was big back then)
Radeon 9800 gfx card

*note* It did not come with a monitor. If you are looking for a complete gaming pc, with monitor and speakers, that will boost the price up, like titan said to about $600.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Remember, a lot will depend on what resolution you are intending on gaming at. Also guys, note that he wants to play the game at high settings.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 March 2008 - 10:49 AM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Well, I'm planning on having enough money for my mid ranged gaming pc build by the end of the month or so and I'll probably be spending around the $700 mark. I've already brought my processor though because that thing is out of stock every where and the price for it keeps going up. I bought an Intel core 2 duo e8400 3.0ghz CPU for $235 + $10 s/h. I should be able to OC it to around the 3.6ghz mark with out having to buy a better fan/heatsink system. I could probably push it to the 3.8ghz range, but the stock 3.0ghz speed would suffice.

Here are the rest of the hardware parts I have picked out:

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - $90
RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $53 (although I'm debating other ram sticks)
Hard Drive - 500GB Western Digital SATA - $99
PSU - Rosewill RP500-2 500Watts - $50
Graphics Card - HD3870 512mb DDR4 - $180-$190

If the 9600GT reaches the $150 mark and the hd3870 hasn't really dropped in price, I'll probably be going with the 9600GT.

A system with those specs should be able to run the majority or games on their high settings at 1024 x 768 (excluding some settings for Crysis.)

But I would take James's advice and wait until you've got a good amount of money saved up and then really start to go threw the hardware you want to get. I've had parts picked out for my high end gaming system (the mid ranged system above is for the entire family) for months and months and almost all of the parts I had picked out are pretty crummy compared to the stuff that's out now.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Rosewill isn't a good PSU maker. Try to get a more reputable brand, such as Antec, Corsair, or Thermaltake, among others

Also, the 9600GT is cheaper than the HD3870 and outperforms it.

$150 9600GT
http://www.firingsqu...gt_performance/

And for $200, you could get an 8800GT, which easily beats both the 9600GT and the HD3870.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thanks for the info on Rosewill, Stetty.

As for the graphic cards, I've read many reviews/ benchmarks and some have the 9600gt outperforming the hd3870 while others have the hd3870 in the lead. I suppose that it would be a better choice to go with the 9600gt since it would be $150 after the rebate. And I would definitely go with the 8800GT but I'm on a bit of a tight budget (although it seems to increase every time I find something better I want to use lol.) Meh, waiting a few more weeks or so isn't going to hurt and it'll be a much better investment to get an 8800GT instead of the other cards.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

As for the graphic cards, I've read many reviews/ benchmarks and some have the 9600gt outperforming the hd3870 while others have the hd3870 in the lead. I suppose that it would be a better choice to go with the 9600gt since it would be $150 after the rebate. And I would definitely go with the 8800GT but I'm on a bit of a tight budget (although it seems to increase every time I find something better I want to use lol.) Meh, waiting a few more weeks or so isn't going to hurt and it'll be a much better investment to get an 8800GT instead of the other cards.

They perform more or less the same, unless you game with AA. If I were you, I just pick which ever card is the cheapest on the market.
stettybet0, all the 9600GT in that review were overclocked, the HD3850 was overclocked, but as far as I can tell the HD3870 wasn't so I wouldn't call that a fair comparison unless the overclocked versions of the card were the same price of lower then the HD3870. Lets take the Evga card you have selected as an example.
The $150 card has clocks of 650MHz/1800MHz
The one the the review had the following clocks 740MHz/1950MHz
Thats a pretty large difference.

Lastly, if you want a cheap 8800GT for $165 after rebate go here.
http://www.ncixus.co.....y Technology/
Just to give you a heads up, Galaxy is a good manufacturer but their warranty seriously lacks when comparing it to other nVidia 3rd part vendors. You only have a 1 year warranty and I believe overclocking it will void the warranty. Othwise is a great card will a cooler that's better then the reference design you'd find on other cards. Lastly, NCIX is a reputable company if you are not familiar with them, they are the only e-tailer I purchase from.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 March 2008 - 09:58 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Just remember, if you do get that Galaxy 8800gt, it won't have as good warranty as other companies because Galaxy is relatively new in the US.

i too know how it feels to be a poor gamer :)

~~~
and, **** that 9600gt has better core clocks than me :)

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 10 March 2008 - 04:45 AM.