Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After A USB OS Attempt...

• Please log in to reply

Helpster

Helpster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
After I tried to install a condensed version of Windows XP to my SanDisk 4GB Cruzer Titanium everything went wrong! I tried to boot from the USB drive and got a BSOD so I formatted the USB drive, no big deal. But then when I went to boot from my Hard Drive I got multiple errors!

The first one was something about a missing or damaged floppy drive but my machine doesn't have or ever has had a floppy. After doing some toggling in the BIOS it was an easy fix. However, I still get this error when trying to boot from my Hard Drive;

(it is a black screen with white font, not a BSOD)

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware
configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path
and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk
configuration and your hardware reference manuals for
additional information.

That's copied word for word, and yes it's in that sloppy paragraph format :)

That is the furthest it will boot. I have used programs from "Hirens Boot Disk 9.3" to test the Hard Drive, RAM, and motherboard and all have come out as working fine. (I'm posting this from my laptop).

Please help, if I don't fix this I'll have to give the parts for my new build to this old junker :)

Thanks,
Helpster.

Edited by Helpster, 06 March 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Helpster...

Sounds like you lost the boot loader...probably when you installed to the flash drive. Try Method Two HERE.

wannabe1

Helpster

Helpster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks a lot for the reply and it sounds like it would of worked first try but...

I went ahead I did a windows re-install :)

Normally I wouldn't mind because its a fix but the Windows installation is stuck at 38%. I have tried physically restarting the computer by holding down the power button but once it restarts it eventually loads back in to the 38% screen.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks,
Helpster.

Helpster

Helpster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Left it on overnight and it worked fine.

All better.