Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems installing new windowa XP O/S

• Please log in to reply

Swenny

Swenny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just bought a new Windows XP home addition O/S and trying to install in my computer but it will not let me get through the set up procedure before freezing. I'm trying to get to the part where it asks me about formatting the HD. Sometimes I can get two or three questions into the setup if I am very quick responding (1-2 secs) otherwise if I take a little longer it just freezes. Should responding to these questions be time critical? Anyway I can't get far enough along to complete the setup. My old O/S Windows XP pro (unregistered) seems to work but it too freezes on some of my programs. I've got 2 memory sticks 256k and have tried both or each by itself in one or the other slots. I've got two HD, one with XP on it 120G and the other formated empty 40G. When trying either one as my master HD, I cannot get through setup. Again my computer works mostly ok when I resort back to the XP pro but I need to install my new registered XP home .

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Perhaps XP Pro needs XP Pro disc to uninstall / format. If you intend to format the drive have you considered erasing the drive, you can download the manual from here to see if it is suitable

Drive Eraser

Swenny

Swenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have one drive that has been formatted, no O/S on it and tried to run Windows XP setup and still the same results.

Unsaferanger

Unsaferanger

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive had this problem before with the Windows server 03 setup, the only way that i could get past it is just keep trying :tazz:

Swenny

Swenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well problem solved. It turns out that my CPU had been running at very high temperatures due to a broken clamp holding the cooling fins down on the CPU. Poor contact caused the CPU to reach temps approching 200 degree F. I remounted cooling fins and secured. The CPU now runs at about 90 F and there appears to be no apparent damage from the excessive heat. No more hangs and freezes.