Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant get my Power supply out

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a ACER AM5620-1204A
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.40 ghz 3071 mb ram
Ati Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256mb Graphics card .
Windows Vista Home Premium

Im trying to upgrade my psu , but I cant get the old one out . There is a big cone shaped fan under my psu and there isnt enough room to get the psu out . I dont think the psu will fit out the dvd drive tray. I think I need to remove the fan ? I hope someone can help with this please .

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi,

Is that fan not connected to anything? Maybe you need to remove the motherboard to get past that hurdle.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you need to remove the heatsink from the Processor, then it is really not that hard to do. You just have to be careful to do the proper steps in reseating the hieatsink after you replace the PS.

The heat sink may be attached with a sticky pad of thermo compound. This is common in factory built computers. After unhooking any screws that hold the heatsink in place you may have to use a slight bit of force to twist the heatsink off. You will have leftover pieces of thermo pad left both on the heatsink and the processor. Now is the time i will use a somewhat used razor knife blade to carefully scrape of as much of the thermo pad as possible without doing any damage to the CPU( don't catch any edges). Some people play it extra safe and use a old credit card to scrape off the old thermopad. Then you clean the heatsink and processor with some isopropyl alcohol. Do a very good job here so the new thermopaste you put on covers the whole area. Now i put a BB sized drop of paste on the CPU and use my finger in the end of a sandwich baggy to spread the paste evenly on the CPU surface. On newer Intel CPU's it may take some more paste than a bb sized one. Then i spread a very thin layer on the heatsink bottom and install the heatsink on the CPU and lock it down with the screws that usually come with the heatsink. Take your time here and be careful that everything lines up and feels good. Now. you are done.

Heres are some good links with pictures.

http://www.smartcomp...r...2.asp&guid=

http://www.crazypc.c.../hsfinstall.htm

http://lifehacker.co...-cpu-158363.php

PCMech tutorial for a intel 775 CPU

Removal
-Rotate all four of the tabs using a flathead screwdriver.
-Then pull up on the tabs (you wont have to pull them up with much force, the pressure against the mobo was released when you rotated the tabs)
-Pull up on heatsink fan.

After-Removal Prep
-If you plan on re-using the HSF you just removed, rotate the tabs back to the factory position.
-The pre-applied thermal pad is now destroyed.
-Get some high-purity iso alcohol and a lint-free cloth (not anything fuzzy). Apply a little alcohol to a part of the cloth.
-Clean off the grease off bottom of the HSF with the cloth. Dont scratch it! The grease should just buff out with a circular motion.

-Now, you'll notice the CPU has grease on it too. Remove the CPU from the mobo. Place the plastic pin protector back on the CPU.
-Hold the CPU with two fingers. With the other hand, clean off the grease just as you did with the bottom of the HSF.

Installation the second time with thermal grease
-After you have cleaned everything (see 'After-Removal Prep'), buy some thermal grease. This comes in a small tube and shouldnt be more than $10. Good brand is Artic Silver.
-You can also buy official thermal grease from intel here.
-Install the cpu in the mobo.
-Put a little, uncooked grain-of-rice-sized amount of grease on the center of the CPU. It doesnt take much. If your using thermal grease from intel, dispense all of the contents!
-Dont use the spreader, this way I'm explaining works best for 775.
-Install the HSF like normal (see 'Installation the first time')
-Once the HSF is attached, rotate it slightly 1 or 2 degrees a few times. You'll bearly be able to do this. This will spread the compound to the whole surface.
-This way I just explained doesnt seem like it would work, but trust me, it does.

Final Notes
-Hope everything worked for you. The stock intel HSF can be very hard to install, just read customer reviews for any retail 775 cpu, especially if it's your first time.
-There's a video here http://www.intel.com...ence/100617.htm of someone installing the CPU. Its good, but I disagree with two things he did. First, its a lot easier to install the HSF with the mobo outside the case! Second, one must press the first tab, then the tab diagonal from it, not next to it.
-Here's a tutorial with pictures of installing the HSF.
http://www.hardwarez.......cid=19&pg=4

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also, you may be able to slide the optical drives forward a bit and that may give room to get the PSU out.

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the help . I ended up takeing all the screws out of the case and managed to squeeze it out the top of the pc .

I Installed a geforce 8800 GT . I didnt realise how huge the video card was , my case is very small I think its a mini tower . Right now the end of the Video card is lined up to where my hard drive is. There is less than 1/4 inch between them . I was thinking of moveing my hard drive up higher , but it would be pressed up against the power cord from the psu to the motherboard [ 24 pin connector ] . Is the hard drive ok being that close to the video card ? Or would it be better with more space , but squeezed up against the 24 pin connector ? I also can lower the Hard drive to create some room between the video card , but it will leave less than a inch between the harddrive and the bottom of the case .

It seems to be performing well , But Im worried about overheating with the videocard so close to the hard drive .

Edited by muaythai2, 07 March 2008 - 09:33 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should worry about whether the power supply will support that card. How many watts is the power supply?

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
600W Power Supply