Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem> internet conection w/ dial up works & dont work

• Please log in to reply

gwhiz

gwhiz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did a clean install of xp & all the original software from the recovery disc on a sony viao desktop, I need help with a issue about the dialup connection (PLEASE)

it comes with aol software preinstaled & I all so installed Juno dial up w/ speed band to go faster w/ the updates from microsoft

ok heres the problem, I can get on the internet sometimes and somtimes not.

I installed netmedic & apperently whats happening is it will show conection for about 5 - 10 seconds then starts over with dialing, it has connected at 52 k at times (& I have dowloaded all the micrsoft updates but its been ver aggervating)
its connecting at 12,14,& 16kbs when it keeps repeating the dialing process

I have removed both aol & juno dozens of times & reinstalled no change even installing just one & trying..I have also tried signing on with the norton antivirus turned off,,rebooting ect...

Its like it works when it wants & not when it dont...I even changed out the modem card with another no help either, its not the phone lines or nothing because I can hook to my pc and bang I'm online no problem (the viao is my sisters & I got here at my plkace to fix hopefullyI have been trying to fix it for her It had a bad ddr to begin with & I replaced the bad ddr & I did the clean install ) I have even repeted the clean install w/ the recovery disc

One other thing might be valuble I tried to install regcleaner & it starts the install but never appears on he screen only the icons not the program itself & you can see it listed in the task manger process window but it dont appaer on the screen anywhere so I have completely removed I dont know if thats helpfull or y it wont work right(appear) I tried reinstalling it 3 or 4 times but same thing.
every other program seem to be running ok
I have scanned it with avg,dss/deckards & dr.web just in case, showed clean

If some one could help me out by means of troubleshooting or whatever I would greatly appreciate it

thanks for any & all help cause I'm totaly clueless what to do runned out of ideas as to solve this :)

Edited by gwhiz, 08 March 2008 - 01:27 AM.

Advertisements

gwhiz

gwhiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
please note I did this procedure noted below that I found in a previous post

"On the computer having problems, go to Start -> Run -> type: ipconfig/all >C:\ipconfig.txt

Then go to My Computer -> C -> open ipconfig.txt"

this is the results on the text windows ip configuration
nothing else thats it

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Easy question first. ipconfig is not very useful for a dialup connection. The command string appears to be for win98/winme. In Win XP the command runs in the command prompt window
start ! run ! cmd /k, ipconfig /all >c:\junk.txt

When you cite using your computer, please be specific that you are connecting to the same modem pool. If not, then the comparison is not valid.

Based on your observation. line condition from home to the local office is considered good.
The modem pool for the ISP usually tops the suspect list. Often, using a different Exhange is sufficient to identify the problem. The phone # is constructed as NPA-nnn-xxxx, where the Exchange is 'nnn'.

However, ISP companies have consolidated modem pools, and several foreign Exchanges are sent to the same modem pool. Work with the provider, and perhaps they will share details with you.

If not, we need to work with post-dial screens and logs. Most modem identifiers only make sense to the ISP, but if 1 clunker shows up - good luck complaining.

Post-dial screens make logging in a pain<mho>.
network connections ! right click icon for connection ! properties ! security ! show terminal window
The identifier preceeds the 'login' & 'password' prompts. Quit the terminal window for the connection to become available to the browser or mail program.

In the past, I used logs to resolve login problems. I do not know what gets shown during the session. Obviously, only the disconnect would be of interest, looking if the modem pool sent a disconnect or if your modem forced it.

Logs:
Start menu ! control panel ! phone & modem ! modem ! properties ! diagnostics ! append to log !

While your there, play with 'query modem' and 'view log' .

If we need to go deeper, then consider these Buzz words: setup string, AT commands, compression, error correction.

Given the current state of technology, compression and error correction are the last consideration. Setup strings configure modems, and backward compatibility with Hayes standard (AT commands) is usually maintained.

gwhiz

gwhiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
first thank you :) for your help,.. If I havent got evrything you wanted let me know also the commannd string I did, I did enter Start -> Run -> comd then the rest as note prior "sorry bout that I left out the cmd part"

"Post-dial screens make logging in a pain<mho>.
network connections ! right click icon for connection ! properties ! security ! show terminal window
The identifier preceeds the 'login' & 'password' prompts. Quit the terminal window for the connection to become available to the browser or mail program "

here lies a problem when I click on the aol connection icon in the network connections window when I click properties it dont open it, also it will be connected to the internet but it reads connect when it should say disconnect & the status is not highlighted/bold so you can click to check connection status....but now the juno icon is normal as it should be if & when I can get logged on with it,

"cite same modem pool"
I take you mean the same interenet provider if so yes & no the juno provider yes its on my pc & I put in the sony...the aol is only on the sony ,but both the juno & aol has problem getting a good conection as described in 1st post...

below is Log
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached File  log.txt   40.46KB   213 downloads

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I began trying to understand the differences. I considered this part of the original description to mean that one computer experienced NO problems.

Its like it works when it wants & not when it dont...I even changed out the modem card with another no help either, its not the phone lines or nothing because I can hook to my pc and bang I'm online no problem (the viao is my sisters ......

Next for consideration were differences in the destination. Different ISP means connecting to a different modem pool. However, for a large ISP provider, they often have several modem pools. Different central concentrations of equipment; different on-site work forces; different expertise; different quality of service.

"cite same modem pool"
I take you mean the same interenet provider if so yes & no the juno provider yes its on my pc & I put in the sony...the aol is only on the sony ,but both the juno & aol has problem getting a good conection as described in 1st post...

My last experience with analog modems involves Corrcom (owned by Juno, I believe). They were up-front in identifying their modem pools to me (meaning my dad). Based on that info, a 1-2-3 order for dialing was chosen. It was not necessary to pursue the problem down to pieces of their equipment. And yes, in the south suburbs of Chicago, several local phone numbers associated with the same modem pool. We just worked down the list until locating local numbers for 2 different modem pools. One pool was judged to make more reliable connections, and it was chosen for the first dialed number.

"Post-dial screens make logging in a pain<mho>.
The identifier preceeds the 'login' & 'password' prompts. Quit the terminal window for the connection to become available to the browser or mail program "

here lies a problem when I click on the aol connection icon in the network connections window when I click properties it dont open it, also it will be connected to the internet but it reads connect when it should say disconnect & the status is not highlighted/bold so you can click to check connection status....but now the juno icon is normal as it should be if & when I can get logged on with it,

Based on my understanding of your 'menu', it appears that you are describing the shortcut. Use the icon in the window for 'network connections' ! dial up !
[edit re-wording]
The modem log confirms the physical part of the connection. The post-dial log details the login /session. Connect times less than a minute often mean it is a userid/password problem. In this case, the log would normally show a re-prompt. Capture this information for discussion, and for modem ident (there is no guarantee that their modems are programmed to reveal a unique name). However, failure to get to the prompt for userid/password throws this back as a modem setup problem. And this means a check box was missed or set wrong. Usual: 8-n-1; 8 bits, no parity, 1-stop bit. The logon is a script [program]. The log captures prompts (from far end), and your responses. [/edit]

Juno and AOL should be able to review the FULL modem logs and detect if the modem setup string should be changed.

Extracted from modem log for phone numbers and call duration:
ATDT662-0082 03-05-2008 21:14:55.984 - Recv: <cr><lf>NO CARRIER<cr><lf>
ATDT482-0050<cr>03-05-2008 21:19:05.234 - Connection established at 14400bps.
..................................03-05-2008 21:20:19.281 - CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. 74 seconds
ATDT482-0050<cr>03-07-2008 02:52:06.140 - Recv: <cr><lf>NO CARRIER<cr><lf>
ATDT279-3648<cr>03-07-2008 02:52:50.781 - Connection established at 9600bps.
.................................03-07-2008 02:53:26.031 - CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. 36 seconds
ATDT482-0050<cr>03-07-2008 02:56:57.500 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT 9600 NoEC<cr><lf>
.................................03-07-2008 02:57:37.531 - Hanging up the modem. 40 seconds

Edited by rf6647, 11 March 2008 - 07:21 AM.

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Gwhiz,

I'm not sure if you're still having this same issue, and I'm not too sure if you use Juno or AOL for your dial up. However if you are using AOL I can help you out with that. More than likely what's happening is AOL is not detecting the modem, so with that being stated. Go into AOL's connection settings and follow the prompts. If it cannot detect your modem, go ahead and uninstall the AOL software as well as the AOL ACS (Aol Connectivity Services). If you're still having connection issues put the error code/message AOL is giving you and I will further assist as best as possible.

Hope this helps out some. :)

gwhiz

gwhiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks for your help,I reinstalled w the newest version of aol & seems to be doing ok now,, if it starts acting up again I'll repost & send u a message if thats ok

thank you very much for your help & your offer to assist its most sincerly appreciated
gwhiz

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Gwhiz,

No problem, however I can tech up to 9.0 Security edition. I know very little about Override or Streamliner, because US AOL employees got laid off including myself around the time of it's launch. So I'm willing to help as much as possible, if you have further questions go ahead and ask.

Glad you have gotten the connectivity back.

:)