Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New RAM causes system to crash!

• Please log in to reply

Roggy_uk2001

Roggy_uk2001

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My system only has 256mb of ram so i decided i should buy some more. So i bought a new 256mb PC100 from ebuyer so i have a total of 512mb. AFter inserting the ram the system works fine for about 30 mins (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) until it randomly crashes and restarts on its own. The ram works fine on its own in both slots. Ive tried swapping the two sticks of ram between the two available slots but it makes no difference. Ive scanned the ram for errors after being recommended to by microsoft, advising me to do so when it notifies me that the system had recovered from a major crash. The only reasons I can think of is that there is over heating.. or some sort of incompatibility when the 2 sticks of ram work together. Help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like they may be incompatible. Don't suppose you know the exact specs of the 2 sticks by any chance?
Also your mobo make/model may help

Roggy_uk2001

Roggy_uk2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The new ram I bought is Ebuyer 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHz 184pin Extra Value RAM. My existing ram is Micron 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHz 184pin CL 2.5. Grrrrr

I ran belarc advisor to find out my mobo specs

Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL SiS650 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.0B 11/02/2002

8SIML - Said that when I ran BIOS
Thanks!

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
generic memory is known to be troublesome i think in your shoes id rma it and order some slightly dearer stuff.

Roggy_uk2001

Roggy_uk2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You think I should get ram from Crucial?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, that might be advisable!
If you go to the link below, crucial have a memory advisor report. You select your motherboard make & model & it gives you a list of memory sticks that are guaranteed compatible with your system. All you need to do then, is select the stick that matches your original one the closest. Micron is the same company as crucial, so better chance of the 2 being compatible.

http://www.crucial.c...fgr.asp?cat=RAM

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
or more advisably try and get an identical chip to the original 1 guarenteed to work then, and is always nice to use same memory.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

or more advisably try and get an identical chip to the original 1 guarenteed to work then, and is always nice to use same memory.

View Post

I think thats what I said, wasn't it?

Roggy_uk2001

Roggy_uk2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
lol! yea you did Samm, confused me :s Hmm i'm not totally sure what i'm gonna do at the mo.. Im only 17 and got no job, so its mummy and daddys money I have to ask for. hehe. I think I will try and return the ram I bought from ebuyer.. If there dam site works! and then probably buy from crucial... or i could buy another of the same from ebuyer and sell my existing micron on ebay. hmm.. as I said the ebuyer works fine on its own, its just when it works with the micron, so 2 ebuyer working together should make them happy.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I would but another micron (crucial) one if I were you & sell the ebuyer module instead. That way you can advertise the ebuyer module as brand new & get to keep the micron, which is the better of the 2 sticks.

Advertisements

Roggy_uk2001

Roggy_uk2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea, thanks, i'll do that.. ur a genious! lol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

yea, thanks, i'll do that.. ur a genious! lol

View Post

I know :tazz:

scottishfugee

scottishfugee

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
tis is actualy a question

i have the same problam but dont know mutch about computers.

if i removed the ram should it not resolve the problam

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello scottishfugee and welcome to G2G!

Have you installed some new RAM?

scottishfugee

scottishfugee

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes had 256mb and put another 256mb in and the computer started to crash randumly so i took the ram out and reformated the computer and it still crashes