Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Trying to Recover External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend asked me to use my Data Recovery software to recover some data from his external hard drive. It is a new Western Digital External hard drive and it connects using USB. I have windows XP Pro x64 on my computer.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the hard drive but he told me that when he brought it in they said to use some Data Recovery software to save the data on it (I'm assuming before he gives it to them to fix it or send it away). So I am trying to recover it but non of the software (GetDataBack, Recuva, Undelete) I used can recognize that it is there and it doesn't show up under My Computer either. However, when I plug it in the computer recognizes it as a Mass Storage Device, it shows up in Computer Management under Disk Management, and the Device Manager recognizes it and shows it being called "WD" (for Western Digital?).

I'm wondering if theres something different I have to do since it is connected through USB.

Also, if someone could recommend any good Data Recovery programs too, that would be great.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use the software to scan it logically, not physically. Most data recovery software doesn't work in drive letters and insist on giving their own labels to drives that Windows isn't interested in talking to.