Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My DVDrom cant be detected

• Please log in to reply

mark_zionites

mark_zionites

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, my laptop cant detect my DVDrom. i check to the My Computer the DVDrom drive icon was not there, when i place a cd on my DVDrom it cant read it. what's wrong with my unit. please help me..thanks in advance..

chao :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Mark & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Go to Control Panel (switch to 'Classic View')->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager.
If the cd-rom drive is listed, right-click and choose "Uninstall".
Now reboot. Windows should re-detect the drive and hopefully if it will now show in 'My Computer'.

If it's not even listed in Device Manager it may have developed a fault or simply worn out. In that case you will have to replace it.
Most laptops allow the cd-rom drive to be taken out and a new one fitted, but you'll need to get the correct one from the laptop manufacturer.
If you don't fell able to do this yourself you'll have to take it into a repair shop. But before doing that try my suggestion first (Device Manager->Uninstall).

Edited by pip22, 07 March 2008 - 02:11 PM.