Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why is my Internet connection so...fast?

• Please log in to reply

Ebonon35

Ebonon35

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes that's right, fast. I signed up for broadband service from my local cable provider. I was supposed to get 6 Mbps down and (I think) around 700 K up.

After getting my services set up, I ran tests on Speakeasy's and Speedtest.net's websites. My average result is 15 Mbps down and 2.5 Mbps up (my peak was 21 Mbps down). Those are hard wired numbers but even my wireless connection was averaging 10 Mbps down.

I contacted my ISP to see if perhaps they signed me up for a premium package instead of a basic one but they did not. My billing profile shows I have the basic service. Even if no one in my area is utilizing the available bandwidth, 2.5x what is supposed to be my max seems excessive.

Before you think I'm nutz, this is NOT a complaint. I just want to know if this is a fluke or something my ISP might figure out and "take" away. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
there's a difference between "Confirmed Data Rate" (or CDR) and "Burst Data Rate" (BDR)...your CDR is what you signed the contract on your BDR is the theoretical max connection limit on the service you've got....so while you've contracted for NO LESS than 6Mbps down you can achieve higher rates under certain circumstances (i.e. if you're contacting a server that's got a lower metric than another, or if you're accessing the connection during "off peak" hours) this is normal and as long as they're not miss-billing you you're good

Ebonon35

Ebonon35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SA-WEET!!! Yah I was trying early in the morning and after 8 PM at night (off-peak). So how can you know if speed test servers has a lower metric? Based on what your saying that would kinda skew results?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP

So how can you know if speed test servers has a lower metric? Based on what your saying that would kinda skew results?

well you can't really...that's all dependant on how the "Internet" routes your traffic...which tends to change with each request

Ebonon35

Ebonon35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I see. That's ok, I'm not that obsessed with actual numbers. So long as I don't need to shave between downloads, I'm good. Thanks for the fact check.