Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless connection lost due to 'master browser'

• Please log in to reply

cathalcom

cathalcom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I get this error message in system log event viewer:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ABD8222F-0727-48BA-AA33-8EB35273F3AB} because a master browser was stopped.

it happens randomly, about every 10-15 minutes.

microsoft tells me it's because:

Explanation
The network must have a master browser.

it's extremely annoying :)

there is no help page on specific to this problem on microsoft. any ideas?!

many thanks...

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi cathalcom and welcome to Geeks2Go!

The master browser is called the "Computer Browser" in Windows XP and it runs as a service. The service should be set to "Automatic". It's possibly been disabled or set to manual inadvertently, either of which could account for the problem. Many XP users alter the default services settings to stop non-essential ones from wasting resources, but sometimes they get it wrong and stop a vital service from running. It's even possible a badly-behaved Windows 'tuning' utility may have done it.

Go to Start->Run & type services.msc then press [Enter].

Look down the list of services till you see Computer Browser

Double-click that entry.

Change 'Startup Type' to 'Automatic', then click the 'Start' button within that same Properties box, to start the service.

Now click 'OK' to save the changes.

Hopefully this will fix your problem, and that service will start automatically in future.

Edited by pip22, 08 March 2008 - 02:56 PM.

cathalcom

cathalcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi - thanks pip22!

I checked and the service was already set to automatic. I also changed the setting 'what to do if this service stops' from 'nothing' to 'restart service'. I just did that now... but it continues to cut out.

Any other ideas?

thanks so much - cathal

Edited by cathalcom, 08 March 2008 - 03:34 PM.

cathalcom

cathalcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so the last suggestion didn't work. any other geeks up to the challenge?!

still, about every 10 minutes, my connection cuts out, with the error message:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ABD8222F-0727-48BA-AA33-8EB35273F3AB} because a master browser was stopped.

help!!