Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error while install Win XP

• Please log in to reply

coipan

coipan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I'm Yosep and I'm new here

I want ask, i get an error code while installing the win xp professional sp 2
The error code like this :
pci.sys 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xf76eb0bf,0xf7b372208,0xf7b36f08)

I've already search and it say that "it's need sufficient hard disk space to run Windows." but I think my hard disk space is more than enough to install this Windows

Is there any solutions for this problem cause I need to re-install my OS

Thanks in advanced

Regards,

Yosep Andrianto

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Microsoft says it is in the cardbus or a compact flash problem.

http://support.micro...=839641&sd=RMVP

Have you installed the SP2 service pack at a later date. If so you will need to uninstall the service pack to be able to use a original XP or XP-SP1 CD to install windows.

SRX660

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi coipan & welcome to Geeks2Go!

You appear to have mis-diagnosed the error message. It has nothing to do with insufficient disk-space in your case. The error refers to a problem with a system component device driver -- pci.sys

When you say "I need to re-install my OS" does that mean Windows XP Pro SP2 was previously installed and running okay on this PC?
Also, are you trying to install it on to an empty partition (a 'clean' install) or are you trying to install it over an existing version of Windows?

And are you sure it's an SP2 version of Windows you are trying to install? One of the most common pci.sys errors appeared whenever someone tried to install the original Windows XP (or XP with SP1) on to a system where a PCI-Express graphics card was fitted. The only solution in that situation was to use a standard PCI or AGP graphics card instead. But the SP2 version of XP fixed that problem so PCI-Express video cards no longer cause XP setup to abort.

Another known cause of the error is an incompatible BIOS for which the only fix is to update it. You'll need to know the maker and the version number of your existing BIOS in order to update it. As before, though, that cannot be the reason for your problem if XP Pro SP2 has previously installed okay on this same PC.

Edited by pip22, 08 March 2008 - 03:42 AM.

coipan

coipan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

Thanks for the response, for the very first time (it still clean) I've the same problem and I brought it to the store where I bought my PC and the technisian done the installation for me (Win XP Prof SP2). He said that he hasn't done nothing in my PC, I thought he set the BIOS. And now it happens again when I want to re-install my PC with the same error.

So if I install my PC with the Win XP Prof SP3 or later it will be OK? Or is there some setting in BIOS should I do if I want install my PC with XP Prof SP1 or SP2

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Yosep Andrianto