Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Notification Area problem

• Please log in to reply

dickblakemore

dickblakemore

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Using Windows XP Home, I have encountered a difficulty with the Notification Area (NA). I have quite a lot of icons in the area, many of which are listed as 'always show' in the listing seen by (rightclick background of NA) - Taskbar and Start Menu - Properties - check 'hide inactive icons' - Customise. It seeme to me that I can then change the status of the icons listed to anything and it makes no difference at all. Most of the icons will not show although there are 7 which oblige!. As an example I use a Xerox One-Touch program to operate my Xerox scanner and there should be an icon always on show in the Notification Area but it showed once and then disappeared - it is listed as 'always show'. I know there are other ways of activating my scanner and indeed I use one, but I don't see why the NA should not work for me in all cases. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

XP has a habit of ignoring the customised settings for the system tray -- it often ignored mine, hiding my firewall icon despite telling it not to, which is a big "no-no". So I simply unticked "Hide inactive icons" so I can always see all of them -- though I should add I also keep them to a bare minimum by not allowing any non-essential ones to load with Windows.
Many utilities run in the background and install a system tray icon by default when such behaviour serves no useful purpose, so you need to take control of them yourself, you decide which ones you need and which ones you don't. Every one of them takes a bite of RAM, even if you choose to hide them -- so preventing those you don't need from starting with Windows is the way to go.

I only have four icons in my tray (no hidden ones) despite being what I consider to be a 'power user'. They are: Kaspersky Internet Firewall, the device removal icon, speaker icon, and wireless keyboard utility. Don't let your software decide what gets put in there, take control yourself.
That way you will only have a few so it looks clean and tidy and no need to hide any.

Edited by pip22, 08 March 2008 - 08:22 AM.

dickblakemore

dickblakemore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate that many people find no particular attraction in the Notification Area (NA), but I must say that when it was working I found it a boon. I accept what you say about restricting the number of icons to a small handful, and I suppose I would be satisfied if I could choose which ones were showing!

For example, as you know, the listing of contents of items in the NA in the screen called 'Task Bar and Start Menu - Properties - Task Bar - Notification Area - Check 'Hide inactive icons' - Click 'Customize', the list is divided into 'Current Items' and 'Past Items'. In the list of 'Current Items' is an icon which gives me access to 'C-Media Audio configuation' which I don't want to see and is annotated 'Always hide' but it always shows up, whereas on the 'Past Items' list the icon 'Safely remove hardware' is annotated as 'always show' and never shows.

Your further thoughts would be appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I uncheck Hide inactive icons and Group similar taskbar buttons. That way all possible icons are showing in the System Tray (what you call the Notification Area).

Then I stop any programs from starting at boot time that I don't want. For instance, C-Media Audio configuration can be disabled so it doesn't start at boot time. If you ever need it, go to Programs and start it. It can be stopped either by options in the program itself or using the msconfig Startup tab. Ditto for other programs.

dickblakemore

dickblakemore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
By Jove, he's got it - I think he's got it!!
For the first time in a long time I have an icon for Xerox One-Touch, one for 'safely remove hardware' and no icon for 'C-Audio configuration'. I went into 'msconfig' and 'slashed and burned'. Obviously I have done enough!!
Thanks a lot for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You're welcome, glad it helped.