Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead iPod Video- ideas about which part needs replacing?

• Please log in to reply

tazical

tazical

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an 18 month old iPod Video 80GB that is completely dead- it was fine in the morning and when I took it out of my bag later I get no response at all. The hard drive is not whirring, the screen is blank, there is no response to a reset and it is not recognised when I plug it into my computer, including plugging in to different cables and different computers.

I'm no techie slouch, so I can repair it, but am having trouble diagnosing the problem part. Some say battery (which I doubt, as I didn't notice any reduction in play time beforehand), some say the hard drive is faulty and some say replace the logic board. Or maybe something else has been known to cause a problem?

Any ideas about what could be causing the problem would be welcomed, as I don't know which part to try replacing first!

Advertisements

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
has your iPod been dropped recently?? i have a 160Gb which also did that. try plugging it in the pc wait for about 3mins then for 6 seconds press simultaneously "menu" and center button. after 6 seconds when the apple logo appears your iPod will do a restart.