Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to unpin My computer from start up

• Please log in to reply

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Howdy folks. Somehow "My Computer" pops up when I log in. How do I unpin it from the start up? I know this has got to be an easy fix, but I don't have a clue how to do it. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gamblin22

Advertisements

Jamjam525

Jamjam525

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Gamblin22,

Go to the start menu, and click run. Type in msconfig. Look at the tabs: the one on the far right says startup; click it.

Look for my computer in the list of items, and if it is there, untick it. Click apply and then OK. When promped to restart your computer, do so.

If it is not in msconfig, click start, then all programs. Look for a folder called startup. If my computer is in there, right-click the shortcut, press delete and restart your computer.

If my computer does not appear in msconfig or in the start menu, post here again and I will give you the link to a program which can help you change startup items.

Edited by Jamjam525, 08 March 2008 - 09:03 AM.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK thanks, let me give that a try.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I looked in both locations (I ran the msconfig and the Startup in my programs listing) and it wasn't in either one.

Jamjam525

Jamjam525

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Please download and run StartupList from the Merijn web site: Here

Save the results (Click on File then Save) and attach it to a reply here by using the Browse and Upload buttons when you post a message (don't use fast reply because the buttons wont be there).

This program will show us what is loading when your pc starts.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also repeat the steps described in my last post (with msconfig, etc), but this time look for explorer.exe instead of my computer. It could be that your pc is trying to run multiple instances.

Edited by Jamjam525, 08 March 2008 - 09:35 AM.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll go look again.

Gamblin22