Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Should I run MemTest/Windows Mem diag again after removing the bad stick from DIMM0/Slot J5G3 before moving on to any other hw testing?
..ZZZ

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...run mestest with the remaining stick...sorry I didn't get back to you sooner ...the notifications for some of my threads aren't working...yours is one of them...if I haven't replied to you in a day ...send me a PM..

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Update finally:
Ran Memtest and Windows Mem Diag on single stick of ram in good slot (DIMM1). No errors found by either diag. Stuck in other ram from other PC and got same results. I also ran the Winows Recovery disk again after using only DIMM1. No repair of files indicated after this run.

Also disconnected all hw except hd, video card and monitor.
No matter what ram I use or hardware I unkooked, I continue to get same result - Windows splash screen starts up, cursor passes by twice and freezes on start of third pass.
Next steps? :)
..Thanks..Ziaman

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do the repair...instructions here..

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
This was a used PC given to my sons last year. I do not have a W-XP cd for use as called for in the upgrade /reinstall process. Am I out of luck?
...Ziaman

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
happyrck/Ztruker,
A thought - would I be able to use the 6 system recovery disks that I created for other PC (Compaq Presario S4300NX), or are they specific only to that PC?
..ZiaMan

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you could borrow a retail or OEM copy from somebody ...those recovery disks will just try to wipe the drive and reinstall like it was the Compaq Presario S4300NX...and would probably just give you a error that it wasn't the right system

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
First disc I got my hands on turned out to be W-XP Professinal. Booted it up and it started out just like repair info, but got to a point where prog asked me which partition I wanted to install on (note - this was not part of G-t-G repair info). I selected C:, and after some thinking about it, the system came back to warn me that I was installing a different Op system over previous install. At that pont I exited out. Worth a try.
Hopefully a co-worker will be bringing in a W-XP Home Ed syst disc, and then will go from there.
..Z

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good call.. :)

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OK, was given a retail W-XP HE w/ SP2. Went thru repair as expected per G-t-G instructions. When it finished, said take out disc from drive and then hit enter to rebooot. Which I did. In a few moments, system did restart - hooray - but then got instructions to re-insert the W-XP disk, which I did. System said it was going to finish installation. Finally got to screen requesting Product Key. I entered the product Key from the side of my PC. Prog would not except, stating it did not match installation.
Installation on hold .
So question is - if I go ahead and use my co-workers Prod Key, will that screw him up with any his future updates, checking licenses by MS, etc? Not sure how stringently this Prod Key is policed by MS.
Can same prod key be used on two different computers?
Or do I need to cancel and start over?
Thanks..Ziaman

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You won't be able to activate it since it's already in use. You might be able to purchase a new key from MS for less than it would cost you to buy another copy of XP Home though. I think a key runs around $30 but I'm not sure.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
(1) I've Googled where to purchase such a Prod Key but do not find any answers. Any purchase place sugggestions?
(2) Should I have just stopped after first segment of repair and not reinserted the retail W-XP disk? I get the feeling I'm re-installing a whole new W-XP, not just doing a repair.
(3) If in the end I have to purchase a new copy of W-XP, what is the process I need to do to get all the machine component drivers installed correctly with this new install? Does (will?) Dell provide a set of drivers for each specific machine so that i don't have to try and do this for each individual component after the new install? Or will the drivers existing on machine not be affected by new install of W-XP? I think the answer is, no they will be eliminated, but I need o ask since still learning.
Going to double check the Prod Key on side of machine but almost certain I got it right first time.
Thanks for sticking with me..ZiaMan

Edited by ZiaMan, 19 March 2008 - 02:19 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you get this during the repair...

Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

I am going to check with some other staff members but I'm afraid you wiped your copy of windows...making a repair impossible now...
if you do have to buy another copy of windows go here...
or here...

Can same prod key be used on two different computers?

no

Edited by happyrck, 19 March 2008 - 07:09 AM.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I had a bad feeling about this.
To answer your question - I don't remmber seeing that statement, but the flow of the repair followed the 3 main screen shots (Welcome to set up ==> EULA ==> Set up : Repair or Fresh Install) in the G-t-G instructions and I did answer each one with the right <Enter>, <F8> and <R> for repair.

Since I have not entered th Prod Key, and "finished" (supposedly), could I still turn off PC and restart repair again? Or is that out of the question now too?
Will wait for what you hear from other G-T-G staff.
Thanks..ZiaMan

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you restart the computer ..I think it will just try to finish the clean install you started...I don't think it will do anymore damage at this point...I will let you know as soon as I hear from some of the other techs