Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4oD

• Please log in to reply

j4m3s

j4m3s

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am from the UK and work overseas. I am trying to use 4od (a program realesed by the bbc for watch media, or buying media) on my laptop to catch up with some tv shows but it tells me for people living in the Uk and rep of ireland only. Is there anyway in which I could change my ip adress to actualy purchase these shows.

Regards

James

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
4oD (Channel 4 on Demand) is part of Channel 4, not the BBC. The iPlayer is the BBC Equivalent, and "Catch-Up" is the ITV equivalent.

All of of these services are not available outside of the UK (4oD is also available in Eire but no wider) so the only legal way to get access to these services is to come back to the UK. Your IP address is assigned by the company in the country that you're in now so you'll never get a UK-based IP address until you return to the UK.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 March 2008 - 04:38 AM.

j4m3s

j4m3s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Im sure there is away.

Dr. Pil

Dr. Pil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll give you a clue, how could you make your IP look as if it came from the UK, cough VPN cough. This works fine, 4oD only requires this for the authentication of the video, so once you have the license you can then stream without overhead. This works for iPlayer and ITV as well, as long as you are paying a UK TV license I personally don't see the problem.

j4m3s

j4m3s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes, I know I could you VNC and this like that could allow me to do what I wanted.

I know it is sad but I just want to watch Hollyoaks while I am abroad.

Regards

James

Dr. Pil

Dr. Pil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Not VNC, VPN... though VNC would also work but would be slow... I also use it for Hollyoaks, it is really quite worrying. :)

Paul BH

Paul BH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
anyone have any idea why VPN might stop working with this. I was merrily catching up on hollyoaks until a few days ago...

Maximill

Maximill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
would someone actually be able to tell me how to use VPN to access 4OD?

thanks