Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Easy "Defrag" question...

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I always do my maintenance on weekends, and I've just done a defrag of my "C" drive.

It completed fine, but said that there was only 1 file that could not be defragmented at:

C:\windows\system32\V_C12M.mpeg. It's 192MB and contains 1664 fragments.

Now this was obviously a video so I played it and it's simply a Sony Vaio screensaver!!

My question is, to get a perfect defrag can I either delete this or say, move it to my "D" drive?

After all, it's only a screensaver that I never use. I know that this folder contains very important files, but surely it's safe for me to delete this?

After the defrag I clicked on "analyse" again, and it still said that the volume needs to be defragmented.

Regards

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can delete it, but first it's best to uninstall that screensaver first if it's in add/remove programs, or it will still appear in the screensaver selection of display properties. If there's no add/remove for it, see if you can find it's screensaver system file which will be in the format xxxxx.scr and delete that. Then delete the mpeg file and defrag again.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well I decided to move it to the "D" drive, and then do the defrag. It then came up with 3 smaller files that it said it couldn't defrag. So it seems to me that you can never get it 100%. I've done a "disk cleanup" which has reclaimed 6GB due to compressing old files.

I did find the Nature Screen Saver in "Add/Remove Programs".

I've run Spybot S+D, AVG anti-virus, CCleaner, done a disk cleanup and defrag. That surely should suffice.

Ready for action now on Monday. Thanks for your help.

Regards