Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pen Drive very slow to write into

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

I have a USB pen drive (or whatever it's called in English or in any other language on earth). It has a volume of 2 gig. I store in it some documents and utilities worth less then 0.5 gig. It is extremely slow to write into or delete. Otherwise it works very well, responding fast, no corruptions, no errors, nothing.

It seems that there are files that are written quickly and others are terribly slow. If I try to delete the content it takes ages, so I usually format it (very quickly) and paste the content.

The computers runs USB 2.0 and is working perfectly. Moving the drive to another usb port doesn't help. When I connect a USB to IDE enclosure with a backup disk in it, it works very fast.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Skeptic

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Off hand I would say there is something wrong with the pen drive. Can you try it in another computer? That would tell us that it is either the computer you are using or the pen drive.

I once had a hard drive that booted XP slow and accessed slow. All tests including the mfg showed no problems. I finally gave it the heave ho. I use it for testing only.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks runner.

I just ordered another USB pen drive. When I get it I'll try to paste into it the same content that I have on the present one, and will try it in two computers. I'll let you know what the results are.

Regards

The Skeptic

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You didn't mention whether you are getting a "pen" drive with Flash memory or not, but I found those read.write faster than the older ones I have. Might also make sure you have the latest USB driver(s) for those thumbdrives.

If you use a thumbdrive with secure read/write, those will be much slower.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 09 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Major Payne.

Could you explain what "pin drive" is? As for drivers, I don't need any because XP recognize the drive without any problem. Drivers are needed when you first install the drive to a computer with with win 98. Regarding Secure Read/Write, I have small slider switch at the side of the drive. Moving the slider to "lock" position prevents writing and deleting files. To me it looks like it's an electromechanical switch that could not affect the performance.

Regards

The Skeptic

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Mis-spelling.

I have 4 thumbdrives connected and have had to install drivers for each one. I have one more for traveling. 3 of them I allowed to search the Internet for the drivers after I plugged them in with the others connected so apparently they needed drivers.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Interesting. Could it be that they are of an older type? All those that I bought so far did not require drivers.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Nope. Three of them I just bought. The old one is the Verbatim thumbdrive. The latest 4 GB I haven't used yet.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know what to say. The two I have didn't require any driver. Just plug it into any xp running computer and it's recognized automatically, placing a "Removable Disk" in My Computer. At the first time it is going through the process of New Hardware etc. but it recognize the drive automatically. No need for drivers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
The 2 I have and those used by others do not require drivers for XP. Just plug and go.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The only time I've had to install drivers for thumbdrives is if I'm using windows 98 or if it is a really off-brand name or one that has proprietary features.... Of course personally I only use lexar ( or sometimes PNY ) but have used other brands for work....