Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install USB storage device

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

c00l @qu@r!an

c00l @qu@r!an

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi All,

Nowadays, I am trying to get my Kingston Pen Drive to work with my office computer.
Since I have lots of personal data on my office comp, I want to transfer all that to my PC at home.

Now the problem is that USB port at my office is disabled to accept storage devices.
Other devices like mouse, keyboards work fine.
Also system registry editor "regedit" has been disabled by administrator.
But, I have somehow obtained the admin rights on my system at office.
But still, I am unable to get the storage device to work.

My office system runs Windows XP SP2.
I have heard that driver for Kingston Data Traveler comes inbuilt in XP. My home comp (also Win XP) automatically installed its driver.
But in office, whenever I insert the Pen Drive, the system asks me for the location of the driver.
If I let it search for driver on its own (from internet or local machine), it finally finishes search
with message that it cannot find driver for the USB.

After reading more on this problem, one interesting thing I have noted is that system admin has not given even read nor write permissions
for any user on the files usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf inside the "WINDOWS/inf" directory. So I cant even view them using
notepad as it says access denied when I try to open them.
I have noted that these files can be read/written only by the SYSTEM.

Now my question is since I have admin rights, should I provide read/write rights on these files to my user?
Will it work?? Will then the OS automatically install USB drivers on inserting the storage device?

Or am I wrong? Then is there any other way so that I can get the USB storage to work at my office comp?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
We cannot and will not help members to circumvent security measures put in place by their employers.

Edited by pip22, 08 March 2008 - 02:27 PM.