Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No explorer.exe or task manager :(

• Please log in to reply

Courtney Kinder

Courtney Kinder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was running BitDefender, and the day before, it had already deleted explorer.exe. But my computer was still working. I just had to use Task Manager to open programs. Today, whole running BitDefender, I was looking on the internet for a way to download another explorer.exe, and I found a zip file and downloaded it. BUT I can't unzip it without explorer.exe. And while scanning, BitDefender must have deleted my Task Manager. Now, when I start my computer, I have nothing! No taskbar, start menu, icons, anything! Just wallpaper. :) And when I control-alt-delete, I get the menu, but when I choose Task Manager, nothing happens Can somebody help me? Please?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Courtney & welcome to Geeks2Go!

I would be very surprised indeed if Bitdefender was responsible for 'deleting' either the Task manager or explorer.exe, why do you blame Bitdefender? I've used it myself without any files mysteriously being deleted.

I suspect you may have a malware infection which has done it. You should therefore download and run 'HijackThis' from here:
http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

It will create a logfile of everything running on your PC at that time. Post that logfile here and not anywhere else:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Courtney Kinder

Courtney Kinder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get on the internet on my computer. I can't open anything. Sadly, BitDefender is my only excuse. I'm using another computer right now. What can I do? I also can't run my computer in SafeMode

Edited by Courtney Kinder, 08 March 2008 - 02:30 PM.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Can you right click taskbar and open task manager? If so do the following.

Getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.