Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Share aircard connection laptop/desktop

• Please log in to reply

cc2001

cc2001

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello
could someone help me go through the wiring to share my alltel aircard wireless connection with between my wifi laptop and my desktop, i also have a belkin wireless router, thank you , I cannot figure this out.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
http://www.practical...ing/sharing.htm

http://helpdesk.ua.e...et/sharing.html

Edited by pip22, 09 March 2008 - 04:37 AM.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello
this has some great info, but I dont see anything about sharing with a wireless aircard connection, only dsl, dialup, cable etc, could you point me in the right direction?

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
One way is to create a wireless adhoc network from the computer with the Aircard.
Second would be with switch and a wireless accesspoint.
By Far the eaisest way would be with the adhoc network and have ICS enabled. Hope this helps

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
What version of Windows are you running on the machine that is connected to the aircard? Please don't pm lets keep the all replies here. So others can learn too.

Thanks

Tom

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok great

it is windows xp,

thanks again for helping

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...-XP-t92406.html give that a read....the connection is irrelevant with ICS (basically)

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok
dsenette
looks great, let me ask you one thing though before I start, I assume the computer with the aircard is the host, which would be my laptop, am i going to be able to get a feed out of the ethernet port to go to my router, in other words a signal out of the ethernet port on the laptop for sharing purposes?Let me know if this is how it works, or am I completely off track.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Also, if you could help me with the cables, router etc, I am starting from scratch

thanks so much

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ok
dsenette
looks great, let me ask you one thing though before I start, I assume the computer with the aircard is the host, which would be my laptop, am i going to be able to get a feed out of the ethernet port to go to my router, in other words a signal out of the ethernet port on the laptop for sharing purposes?Let me know if this is how it works, or am I completely off track.

yes yes and sure (don't know that you asked 3 questions but let's just leave it there) the ethernet connection is independent of the aircard connection....the ethernet connection will manage the connectivity between the two computers and the aircard will connect to your cell provider

Also, if you could help me with the cables, router etc, I am starting from scratch

an absolute bare minimum of equipment would be a NIC (network interface card) in each computer and a crossover cable....in my experience crossover networking is a ridiculous pain the the butt...a step up would be to get a hub/switch and assign each computer a static IP and do the networking from there and this should work. since you're using an aircard instead of a standard broadband connection a router might be overkill in this situation since you're not actually routing anywhere...another option would be to have a wireless card in each computer (not cellular but regular wireless) and create an ad-hoc network between the computers for the LAN setup

another "new" option would be a cellular router http://www.google.co...a...router&um=1 these devices allow you to hook your aircard (usually) into the router and have all your computers connect to the router the same way you would if you were on landlilne broadband....i've never used any of these devices but they look nifty

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
thanks again, which router on the page you linked me to are you speaking of? there is about 10 listed, I have been researching this for about a week and looks like to me this last option you mentioned would be, although maybe not the most inexpensive, the easiest for me, thanks again

ps, do you have any experience with tweaking connection speeds, it sounds like you are very computer saavy

thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://sewelldirect....;utm_medium=cse this is actually the only one that I've done any studying on...it accepts MOST cellular PCMCIA cards....so basically you plug your aircard into this contraption....set it up per their instructions...then you can either connect your computer to it wirelessly or by ethernet

ps, do you have any experience with tweaking connection speeds, it sounds like you are very computer saavy

you'd need to be way more specific