Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sims 2 crash problems - Directx

• Please log in to reply

landingsight

landingsight

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had the Sims 2 installed and working fine on my computer for several months. However, a few weeks ago, it gave me a "No Directx 9.0c compatible driver found" message, and I can no longer play.
I know this question has been asked many times, probably, but in all my searching over the internet for answers, I've never found a case where the Sims 2 had this problem AFTER working fine for months.
I have Directx 9.0, and have not changed my graphics card. To my knowledge, none of my other specs have changed that would cause this problem.
These are them, and they worked just fine a month ago.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024 MB RAM
Directx 9.0c
Graphics: ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 series
Chip: ATI Radeon AGP
Memory: 256 MB
Driver: ati2dvag.dll

What do you guys think the problem could be and what steps do you recommend I take in solving it?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try updating your video driver. Possibilities range from it becoming corrupted to a Microsoft approved driver version being installed.

I would also check http://microsoft.com/directx
download and install. It will update any files that need to be updated.

landingsight

landingsight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed the latest version of DirectX from the website you supplied, and that did not fix the problem.

I went to ATI's site for drivers, and it took me to this page:
http://game.amd.com/...s_catalyst.aspx

There are so many drivers listed that I honestly don't even know where to start. Could someone give me some pointers as to which ones do what, and which ones, if not all of them, I need to download?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
choose your operating system and then choose catalyst 8.3

landingsight

landingsight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem's resolved now - I finally figured out which driver I needed, and my game works again.

Thank you so much for your advice!