Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do i have the right hardware 2 create a network?

• Please log in to reply

mickol

mickol

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, i am trying to create a wireless network with my XP lap top and 2K PC. My setup has the following features:

The lap top :Ethernet adapter installed internally

PC: external USB D-Link Wireless 2.4GHz adapter installed onto my PC
drivers are installed for this but i don't know how to connect it with the lap top.

Is this all i need to create the wireless network? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Edited by mickol, 24 April 2005 - 12:47 AM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
the laptop also need wireless card. then you can setup ad hoc. this page may help, http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm

mickol

mickol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry i also have a wireless card in the laptop but not in the PC.. but i want to make the PC connected to the internnet and then share the connection with the lap top. Can this be done. If so, how? Thanks.

mickol

mickol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So i need to setup adhoc for both for them both to communicate? How do i do this?

mickol

mickol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just bought a wireless USB adapter for the PC.. so now both have wireless capabilities.. so now i just want to know how setup adhoc on both.. thanks.. hope someone got all that and is willing to help.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
altho it is possible to set them up like that id advise u use a hub because otherwise it could be touch and go and generally very temperamentle its touch and go also it is very insecure, so in my experiance its well worth splashing out abit on the hub.