Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro - Heavy lag in all applications

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Greetings,

I built my girlfriend a computer for gaming. She plays two MMO's, Shadowbane and WoW with me. (Man am i ever lucky : ). But im not here to brag. hehe.

Despite my best attempts and knowledge (which is reasonable but limited : D), i cannot find the source of these hangups.

Its a AMD based machine running 512mb of PC3200 ram (Dual Channel). I believe its a 1.8ghz, or a 1.2ghz, but theres shouldnt be a huge difference between the two, really. Also running a Geforce FX 5700, and i just updated with the new Det drivers. Also a Maxtor 40gb hdd... no idea the other specs of it, but i suspect this is the central problem.

It happens whenever there is intense loading, however, i know for a fact it is not just the usual loading lag. The mouse completely dissapears for roughly 30 seconds or longer. No problems with it not coming back however, but it appears to have locked. No KB input, nothing.

Today it seems to be hapenning at random intervals, even those in which there would be no loading.

Also, we use a microphone for voice comms. Were using a Sound Blaster 24-bit. How can we make it so we dont hear ourself over the microphone?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

-Red

Edited by Redlazer, 23 April 2005 - 11:22 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am not up to answering on this board but I wonder what taskmanager is reading(processes, cpu usage, etc.,) when when you get process overload, how about just leaving it running while burning a cd.

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
i would do that but when it happens its not at a point when i can check, its either during windows startup or while playing a game, and the computer is completely unresponsive while its locked.

Thanks for the help though : )

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
bump