Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New EVGA GeForce 8800 GT performance question

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just installed a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT . So far the performance has been good , allthough Crysis crashed twice in the part where you fly a plane .

I heard that the fan speed is fixed at 30 % and that you need to increase the speed manuely or the card could overheat . I figured the fan would automatically increase in speed when the card was working hard / or got hot ? Do I need to run a app like Ntune or Rivatuner and manuely adjust the fan speed , or is the performance ok as it is , and the card adjusts the fan speed automaticaly ? I dont want to overclock my card [ what I though Ntune and Riva where for ] I just dont want my card to overheat due to the fan speed being to slow .

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
EVGA has released a BIOS update to address this problem. Please see here for instructions.

Alternatively, you could use a program such as RivaTuner to manually set the fan speed.

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks . Looks like ive got the latest bios " Version 62.92.24.00.02 " So I guess my card is ok .

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Using RivaTuner and pumping it up to 70% should be fine.

or even 50%-60% should be fine if you didn't overclock it.

or if you wanna get more complicated, you could set up automatic fan settings so that its quiet when its cool and loud when its hot.

flying plane part, my response: OMG 25FPS... ZOMG SAD FACE....

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 09 March 2008 - 06:14 PM.