Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Errors Upon Loading Windows

• Please log in to reply

Perkybits

Perkybits

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello fellow geeks!

I too have had the random crash your system windoze update bug! Many thanks to Bill and the team at Microsoft.

You guys have one of the only google searchable posts with this issue and I would like to thank "Murray S" for supplying the below patches list responsible.

I encountered the issue two days ago doing a quick favour for a friend who hadn't patched her Toshiba Satellite Laptop since new! It sucked down 26 updates from the windowsupdate.com site and then reliably BSOD with 0xc0000018 every boot following the update.

XP Recovery didn’t work as the updates corrupted the windows system drivers. I booted up with a winternals ERD Reco disk and uninstalled the patches – Machine sprung back into life!

In my case these Critical Patches were the reason for the BSOD.
Uninstall KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and KB893086.

Good luck!!!!

Advertisements

ms7821

ms7821

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It is Q890859 that causes the BSOD, as this is the one that updates user32.dll. The others will likely cause other minor problems, but for different reasons (Q893066 especially).

However, it's probably not a good idea to disable security updates, as this leaves your computer vulnerable to crackers and viruses.

Please read the discussion on iamnotageek for a description of the problem and a possible solution for getting the updates to work. And could somebody with the urge let me know whether uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling it from the Internet fixes the problem?

Cheers,

Mark

sconstantine

sconstantine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow, well thanks Murray. :tazz:

I consider myself quite experienced with MS Products, KB articles, (and if needed Google searches) to fix any problem, but this one stumped me.

Thanks for the resolution, worked on my box.

Now can you divulge how you so easily made that resolution when even MS support says to re-install WinXP?!? ;)

Thanks again,
Sean

slen

slen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem, getting fatal error, which unable me to login to Window. I read and tried the murry's post. It was great; but, I am using window 2000. Is there any steps that I can do to solve my problem.

Thank for your help

powelli

powelli

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:BUMP: Was a solution ever achieved for this patch? I have just built a new machine and am installing XP (SP1 I think, def not SP2). Had this exact problem after windowsupdate and even murray's solution didn't work. it couldn't even find one of the folders. Resorting to a fresh install and going to avoid these patches for now, but surely auto update will download them eventually! :S Can't understand how MS could get away with releasing a patch that crashes computers and never present a solution??? Have I missed something?

Cheers, Powelli

BazM

BazM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I thought that but forget it! - I just got same blue screens on my Dell and other manufacturers pcs - I think Norton 2006 did me a favour - turned MS updates to Auto. :tazz:

Avioah

Avioah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was facing the same problem with complete webupdate after XP SP 2 on fresh install.
Tried the KB uninstall method and my laptop is back to life but now the LAN is not working. by the way I only found KB890859 in the uninstall list the other items were not present on my system.
Any help on this?

I am using a presario v2618TS laptop. :whistling:

aconnell

aconnell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this problem as well, with the blue screen, also trying all the Boot Menu programs, e.g. Safe Mode, Load windows Normally, but the only problem is that I there wasn't a Windows XP disc included with my laptop. What should I do instead?

Edited by aconnell, 09 August 2006 - 03:12 AM.

kathy27

kathy27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im also having the same problm but I can't get through the administrator password area....
I tried just hitting enter... then tried typing "blank" nothing...
What should I do?

realsonam

realsonam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I read all the topics and discussion. I am having the same problem as you guys but I cant use ur solution because I dont have a windows Xp CD or floppy. I am currently able to sometimes log in the laptop by using the disable restart after system failure (F8). Can u guys think of another alternative please?

Advertisements