Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tft lcd monitor flashing off and on

• Please log in to reply

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I don't suppose anyone has an idea of what the problem/cause might be?

I have an TFT flat screen monitor which when the computer boots it turns off the screen. I press the power on the screen and get a quick flash of the O/S then it turns itself off. If I press the power button on the monitor again I get a quick glimpse again. This happens each time I press the power button. It also happens on any other computer I plug it into.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks
Hidyjane

Advertisements

jonnyb

jonnyb

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Hidyjane,

I just had the same problem with a friends monitor.

The problem can be one of 2 things:
1) One of the bulbs in the monitor is bad
2) The inverter board in the monitor went bad (most likely)

A quick way to tell if it's the inverter board is to turn on the montor then use a flashlight and point it directly into the lcd screen (keep it about 10-12 inches or closer from the screen) you should be able to see your O/S (or "no signal" if the pc is turned off).

The inverter board (in a nut shell) directs power to parts of the monitor at voltages they require to function.

As far as what to do with the monitor;
1) If the monitor is still under warranty, call the manufacturer and get it serviced
2) If the monitor is old, it might be cheaper to replace it (price for parts and labor might out weigh a new monitor)
3) If it is out of warranty but is still in very good shape, you can call the manufacturer or local service technicians for prices to repair it.

I had a Envision 17" LCD montior in my case. Envision quoted me $45 + shipping = $51 for parts and installed it myself (process takes some technical savvy).
:) good as new
Hope this helps....good luck
jonnyb

Edited by jonnyb, 09 March 2008 - 09:34 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
While jonnyb may be correct this would only be true if the monitor light stays on it could also be the backlight itself which may or may not be more difficult to replace. If you are not technical savy you may want to take it to a professional.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
While this may be a backlight issue, i doubt it.
This sounds like the inverter is bad.
On some monitors the inverter is a seperate unit wired to the monitors main board, but most often it is built in to the main circuit board.
If the monitor is not under warrenty you may be better off to buy a new monitor, as the labor will cost about half that of a new monitor.