Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD reader stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Bslforever

Bslforever

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey

This is really strange, my laptop's dvd player has stopped recognising dvds. It works fine with CDs, but whenever a stick a DVD in there, it either ignores it or tells me its a blank dvd. The drive is definately a dvd drive, no doubt about it, and i have watched dvds using the exact same drive before. Anyone know what went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i really do not want to have to replace the drive/laptop.

NB the cover on the front did come loose a while ago. I put it back in, and it seems to function as normal.

EDIT: just found out that it will play proper dvds, but not dvd-rs. I dont know why this is the case as i HAVE used dvd-rs on my lapop before. On the side of the drive it says DVD r/rw so i dont see why it shouldnt be working

Edited by Bslforever, 09 March 2008 - 09:53 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It may be getting dirty and need to be cleaned...

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Are you trying to write to a DVD-RW or play something from a DVD-RW?

Bslforever

Bslforever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was trying to play DVDs, but i cleaned it and its all working fine now :) Thanks for the help shard!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No problem, with those dvd/cd cleaners you usually have to catch them while they are still working to some degree in order for them to work... just an FYI