Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fssm32.exe eating CPU and slowing my PC down

• Please log in to reply

roadtripusa

roadtripusa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and it was a clean install just a few weeks ago, only AV I use is F-secure and yet it is already eating up my CPU time and slowing the system down considerably. I used HijackThis to paste a logfile, can someone see what, if anything is the problem here?

HJT log removed - not required for this problem

Edited by Essexboy, 09 March 2008 - 11:01 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That file is part of F-Secure see this link here http://support.f-sec...004012000.shtml

roadtripusa

roadtripusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, that f-secure site was for version 5.xx and I have f-secure for workstations v7.xx. And the site did not cover vista as far as I could understand. I don't understand what in vista to turn off inmy system, vista has many things I never seen in xp. Maybe some more detailed explanation would help me :/ But what I have found in my own system is that windows defender is running, is that a problem?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Defender should not be a problem - Although to be honest I thought F-Secure had fixed that memory like. I will investigate a bit further :)

roadtripusa

roadtripusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem with fssm32.exe seems to be the worst when I am browsing internet. Pages that up until now loaded instantly now can take up to 30+ seconds. I have a 10Mb connection that is very good and pages i know is on the same cbale just won't load fast anymore. I have tried to load the same pages simultaniously on my laptop and this one and the laptop is alot faster every time now. Allthough I see this problem might happen on my laptop too, as I am running the same f-secure there and vista too. Hope not tho...

appretiate you helping me here :) Thx

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you tried turning of windows indexing

to completely disable it go to My Computer and right click on your hard drive and select properties and uncheck indexing, it will then remove indexing from all of your files and folders.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to look at this or this.