Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple copies of devices in device manager

• Please log in to reply

Tina B.

Tina B.

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 that had Windows Vista on it, and a "computer repair" person managed to delete the windows Vista and install Windows XP.
I have numerous issues with this now, in addition to losing all drivers for hardware, sound, video, USB devices...
This started out to be an issue with a WLAN 1390 mini-card not connecting to my network, and now the problem is incredibly more serious than that. (the card is STILL not connecting to my network, so his "fix" didn't do a good thing for me at all"
I have downloaded the latest windows/microsoft updates.

I installed the current ATI software for the devices and now I have multiple copies in my device manager.
Everytime the computer restarts it tries to install drivers for unknown hardware devices. Those keep coming up in Device manager as unknown devices with no drivers. Id the search for manufacturer and drivers using the details for each item and they turned out to be the same devices that the ATI software had installed drivers for.
There are two processors listed under "processors" and they are exactly the same. I know that I only have one processor on this machine, AMD athlon 64.
Where do I begin, and how, to correct these issues?
Do I need to copy something for anyone?
Thanks,
Tina B.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first of all is the amd 64 and x2 version? if so then it is two processors.... as far as the drivers the best bet would be to go to dell and see if they have drivers for your model.... However since it came with vista they may have only vista drivers for that computer... I've also seen a few machines that are designed specifically for vista and will not work correctly with xp ( bios is not compatible ). You may be better off going back to vista and trying to work through the issues you have with it....

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well first of all is the amd 64 and x2 version? if so then it is two processors....

No it isn't two processors at all.
It's dual-core which is two brains on one chip but its presented in Windows as being two separate processors.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yes two processors but one chip. that is all i meant...