Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Slowing My Computer Down

• Please log in to reply

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have a Dell Pentium 4 2.80 GHz and 1.50 GB RAM. I'm thinking my computer shouldn't be logy but since I downloaded Avast yesterday it's kinda slow and jerky.

Is there some way to adjust to fix that, or do I just need a new anti-virus? If so, which one? I just uninstalled AVG because the ratings aren't so good on that one anymore, plus it made me reboot after every update.

Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your PC may be in need of a "defrag" to bring together all the related files which might currently be spread about on different parts of the C: drive. This causes delays and short "freeze ups" when you do almost anything in Windows.
Temporarily disable any antivirus real-time scanning (as this can cause the defragmenter to keep re-starting), then go to Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter. Select drive C: to defragment first, defragment other drives afterwards if they exist. When finished, re-enable the antivirus real-time scanning.

Avast AV is not known as a cause of slowing down a PC, but I would not agree that AVG is any less reliable. Having to reboot after updates is required when the program itself is updated (rather than just the virus definitions). That necessity applies to all AV applications.

Edited by pip22, 11 March 2008 - 03:23 PM.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
My AVG was making me reboot about twice a day, every time there was an update. I'll have to reinstall it and see if there's still a problem.

I defrag several times a week, so that's not the problem with the slowness.

Thanks!

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay I reinstalled AVG and it looks like I can now update and not have to reboot.

As far as reliability, I was going by this site's recommendations.
http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html
I tried to get used to Avast but it really did make things jerky and slow.