Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton Not Allowed Because of McAfee

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
:) I give up! I am running Windows XP; when I got it almost 2 years ago it came with McAfee Security Center; since then, we have gotten Verizon DSl which provided us with free Norton Online Security. Since the McAfee was getting expensive and this was free, I got rid of McAfee and downloaded the Norton. All was fine. Then Verizon/Yahoo has me download an "update" about 6 months ago and now my Norton Anti-Virus, Anti-Spy, etc. now says it's not installed. When I get online to re download it - it says I can't until I get rid of McAfee. I can't find and McAfee files on my computer except for in the logs, etc. No program files. Am I now stuck with no protection at all or does someone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This is just a personal opinion but I'd vouch for reinstalling McAfee or one of the free Anti-Virus systems (which are linked all over this site, such as AVG). Norton in tests missed more things than even some of the free anti-virus programs and I would never recommend Norton to anyone (missed virus, system hog, etc.).

As for finding/deleting files, this is a pretty simple step, but have you checked the Add/Remove Programs list to see if anything McAfee related is on the list?

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I did some research on the freebies and thought the same thing; it sure would be easier!!!

And yes, I removed all McAfee a long time ago; I even ran a search for all hidden files, etc. and removed them as well.

I think I will follow your advice about installing an alternate program. Thanks alot.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, since you mentioned that you have no antivirus in your computer, I would recommend you to install ONE of these free and excellent antivirus below.. Please install ONLY ONE of your preference..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 10 March 2008 - 12:07 PM.

pollz

pollz

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Spam removed.