Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Binary vs. Binary Code?

• Please log in to reply

Question1

Question1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anyone know if there is a differnce between "Binaries" and "Binary Code"?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Question1,

That depends on the context.
The term "binary code" can mean several different things.
The same applies to the word binaries.

The most usual meanings are "executable files" for binaries (goes back to the expression universal binary as used by Apple) and "binary code" are strings of 0's and 1's normally 8 digits long.

Can you give us some more information on what exactly you want to know or how the comparison was used?

Regards,

Question1

Question1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have an assignment to do and it said the following:

We know that the BSD license permits relicensing of code licensed under it, whether it is binary or source, modified or unmodified, under any license. The GPLv2 and v3, on the other hand, permits relicensing of the code, modified or unmodified, binary or source, only under the GPL

For this assignment I want you to create a portion of the NYLAW Open Source license that falls somewhere in between the BSD and GPL. That is:
1. Binaries may be relicensed under any agreement
2. Source code, if distributed, must be made available under the NYLAW Open Source license.
3. If you make derivative works, and distribute the binaries for that code, you are required to make the source code available to your modifications.

So I was wondering what #1 meant. Any other insight?

Thanks!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
In this case, I think the definition you are looking for is:

source code[/url]).

Question1

Question1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks.

That's what I thought before reading this part of the assignment:

"relicensing of the code, modified or unmodified, binary or source" --Which I interpret as meaning Binary Code or Source Code. Does that mean it's the 0 & 1 numbers?